Need a tried & true West Coast IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knollybru

Reaction score
After 10 yrs of brewing, I am starting over with this style. Not sure why I can’t land on something I really like. Maybe I m over thinking my recipes and straying further away from the style.

My main underlying issue is that some of my hoppy beers turn out too full/sweet and kind of flabby. Then the next batch is too thin and ends up with a harshness I don’t like. I can’t seem to find a happy medium.

I am after something light in color, dry with a nice hoppy punch.

Any suggestions are welcomed. I want it all. Grain bill, water, hop schedule etc.

Thanks all.

Your gonna have 100 different recipes . Have you tried any from the recipe section? From what you've stated I'm gonna guess you were using crystal and probably a tad too much . What IBU and ABV do you like ? Have you tried making one without crystal and using wheat instead? As for water I think it's best to use RO then build unless you have great water for this style.

Good tip on the RO water. I will give that a try. My water is pretty neutral with not much going on. Maybe a little on the soft side.

I don’t typically use crystal malts. If I did it would by under 3%. I’ve used Munich or a little honey malt at times. Maybe a tad too much Munich at times.

I usually shoot for a 1.060 beer at about 60-70 IBU.

90% 2-Row (I really like Great Western's High Color Pale in IPA's fwiw)
5% each Malted Wheat & Light Munich
WLP007 Dry English Ale or WY1450. Different yeasts but both make great IPA's
Mash at 148-150* for 60-90 mins
Shoot for 200-250 ppm sulfate in your water
50 IBU Warrior hops at 60 min
10 IBU Chinook at 30 min
10 IBU Simcoe at 15 mins
A few oz Chinook & Simcoe in the kettle after flameout @ ~150-180*
Dry hop w/ Simcoe

1 down, 99 to go :)

90% 2-Row (I really like Great Western's High Color Pale in IPA's fwiw)
5% each Malted Wheat & Light Munich
WLP007 Dry English Ale or WY1450. Different yeasts but both make great IPA's
Mash at 148-150* for 60-90 mins
Shoot for 200-250 ppm sulfate in your water
50 IBU Warrior hops at 60 min
10 IBU Chinook at 30 min
10 IBU Simcoe at 15 mins
A few oz Chinook & Simcoe in the kettle after flameout @ ~150-180*
Dry hop w/ Simcoe

1 down, 99 to go :)

That looks great. I’ll probably stick with American ale yeast this time around. I’ve tried numerous English yeast in the past. Some work out and some don’t.

I go back and forth on heavy handed additions at 60 min. I never know what I should be doing. Your recipe makes me want to go back to my roots.

I am definitely not doing 200-250 ppm sulphates. More like 150 ish.

Thanks for the reminder on this one. I’ve seen it before. I like the hop schedule. Have you made it before?

I just brewed this recipe and have it carbing now. I've brewed the Mad Fermentationist west coast IPA (https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/12/west-coast-ipa-recipe-hop-oil-analysis.html) which is a very similar recipe and it took 1st place out of 40 IPAs. The main difference I see between the two recipes is the IBUs. 71 on Scott's recipe and 133 on the Mad Fermentationist. I've found that if I don't brew the MF version perfectly the IBU can be way too intense and throw things out of balance, very excited to see how Scott's turns out.

After 10 yrs of brewing, I am starting over with this style. Not sure why I can’t land on something I really like. Maybe I m over thinking my recipes and straying further away from the style.

My main underlying issue is that some of my hoppy beers turn out too full/sweet and kind of flabby. Then the next batch is too thin and ends up with a harshness I don’t like. I can’t seem to find a happy medium.

I am after something light in color, dry with a nice hoppy punch.

Any suggestions are welcomed. I want it all. Grain bill, water, hop schedule etc.

Thanks all.

You might like this. Should be Pliny-like.

Water:
SO4: 210 Cl: 50

Grains (145°F 60’):
Target mash pH: 5.3-5.5
Rahr 2-Row (92%): 11.5 lbs
Crystal 40L (4%): 0.5 lbs
Briess Carapils (4%): 0.5 lbs

Hops (212°F 60’):
Target pre-boil pH: 5.2-5.4
CO2 hop extract: 4 ml, boil 60’
Whirlfloc: boil 10’
Yeast Nutrient: boil 10’
Cascade: 0.5 oz, 180°F
Centennial: 0.5 oz, 180°F
Amarillo: 0.5 oz, 180°F
Simcoe: 0.5 oz, 180°F
Columbus: 0.75 oz, 3 days
Amarillo: 0.75 oz, 3 days
Cascade: 1.5 oz, 3 days
Simcoe: 2.25 oz, 3 days

Yeast:
Target pitch pH: 5.0
Yeast: US-05
Fermentation: 64-68°F, 14 days

Last edited:
Having brewed this style a bunch...I noticed a lot of value in the BYO clones guide...lots of good clone recipes to commercial examples there and the price isn't unreasonable...
No I am not employed by them at all.. I plan to buy the guide for myself for the English ales part when my brew rig is done!

Back