Need a new smartphone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this point I think we're going to the store tonight to pick up my daughter's birthday phone. She's getting the iPhone 6.

I'm not about to sit down and try to explain to her why she needs an Android instead. So far she hasn't been interested in learning more about computers or guitar.

And it begins.....

I've never gotten a droid virus, and I do a lot of stupid stuff with my phone
I've never been hacked, and see above
My droid battery last way longer than my work iphone when actually being used. The iphone last forever on standby though

I pretty much hate my galaxy s4. The speaker in the earpiece dies every 6 months. Other than that, the phone is fine, but I'm bailing on the galaxy line because of this.

This one hasnt really devolved to the debate which is quite nice.

And there are still windows phones?

I am glad to see that. It usually doesn't take long for the fanboys on each side to start hammering on the other.

I am an iPhone user, but have used all three major OS phones. They all have their good and bad points.

I have heard a lot of good things about the new Samsung phones as well as the Moto line. The ability to increase memory by adding a SD card is a nice feature that i wish apple allowed.

Included in the list of 125 things is:

1: Get a virus
2: Get hacked
3: Give you practice recharging the battery throughout the day

I have had android since the first droid.

I have never had a virus, I've never been hacked, and some phones had battery issues. But my GF has an iPhone 5 I have a Droid Turbo, she never gets through a day, I go out the end of the day with 40+% battery.

Both phones have issues. Android has so many choices that it's easy to make the wrong one. iPhone has no choice so if you want a longer battery you can't get it. You have only 2 screen sizes to choose from (well I guess 3 if you want a 2 year old phone)

Apple does an exceptional job making the UI intuitive and easy to learn. Android is learning from that. Android does an exceptional job of innovating new features. For example, I can't tell you how much easier my life has been since I got the feature where I can shake my Droid and the flashlight comes on. It's a dumb feature, it's kind of silly, but I use it several times a day and it's way easier than unlocking the phone to use a widget.

I don't think either OS is bad. People who get too wrapped up into the fanboy wars are buying into the marketing scheme of the 2. Jobs basically made it his job to trash android to get permanent Apple users who wouldn't even consider buying an Android. It obviously worked. And since then people on the other side have returned the favor and trashed apple. Having used both, I'd never go to iOS. It is too clunky and non-customizable for my liking. I like my app drawer and my customizable homescreen. I love widgets, from the functional (weather widget, calendar widget, google health widget, etc.) to the silly (ATHF character widget)

There's no reason for someone to write off either one.

With Apple, you're gonna get longer product support and not have to deal with carrier and manufacturer BS. It's virtually guaranteed that Apple will support an iPhone software wise for 2 years if not more. Android doesn't have that guarantee. Because Google can release the software and get it to all the manufacturers, but if Samsung takes a long time testing to make sure it works with it's UI. Then the carriers test it to make sure it works with their bloatware, and it's annoying. Now it's not true of all Android devices. We have the NExus devices that get updates basically immediately. As well as the "play" editions of google phones that get updates almost immediately. But the issue with them is carrier availability. The Nexus 5 won't work on Verizon and only the carrier branded Nexus 6 will. I'm hoping Verizon won't screw up the Nexus 6 like they did the Nexus S, but time will tell.

I just want a smaller phone, that's thicker and has a tremendous battery. Reasonably fast. Decent screen. Expandable memory. FM Chip would be icing on the cake so I can listen to local sports.

Seems everyone is making mini tablets for phones these days. Eventually they will be so big you have to carry is around on your shoulder like a BoomBox!

I just want a smaller phone, that's thicker and has a tremendous battery. Reasonably fast. Decent screen. Expandable memory. FM Chip would be icing on the cake so I can listen to local sports.

Seems everyone is making mini tablets for phones these days. Eventually they will be so big you have to carry is around on your shoulder like a BoomBox!

I think they are just trying to preempt the whole history repeating itself thing and work towards bringing back the Zach Morris phones.

tumblr_lgfcidcKLE1qh3qkyo1_1280.jpg

My Motorola Razr M was a nice unit with exceptional battery life. I use an iPhone 5C now. The Razr was generally better for non-telephone applications, but the iPhone is a better telephone (and a better camera). I just wish it had the battery life of the Motorla.

I just got an LG G4. I like it very much. It has an mini-SD slot that will hold up a 2 Terabytes (yes, you read that right.) It's small enough to be able to reach almost anything with my thumb. Great service too

I vote for the moto g on amazon too, no contracts, no bloatware, no b.s. Decent hardware specs at a reasonable price. Lots of bang for your buck. I've been rockin the moto g 1st gen for about a year now and am happy with it, and even happier that I didn't have to sign a contract.

iPhone 6 here. We have a sagging galaxy tab and an iPad and I'll tell you the galaxy gets the least use.

If you are looking for a small-ish good phone, look at the Sony Z3 Compact. 4.6" screen, Snapdragon 801, 2GB RAM, 720p screen (will be same approximately the same density as the nexus 4/HTC1 (M7) and slightly better than Galaxy S 3 due to pentile), SD card slot, waterproof, purported to have excellent battery life.

Depending on the REAL (not 'leaked') specs of the new Nexus device, I will be getting the Z3 Compact or the Galaxy S5 as my next phone. My Nexus 4 is getting a little long-in-the-tooth.

I just got an LG G4. I like it very much. It has an mini-SD slot that will hold up a 2 Terabytes (yes, you read that right.) It's small enough to be able to reach almost anything with my thumb. Great service too

I love my G3, wish I could get the G4 but don't want to pay off contract pricing

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a good, lower priced verizon phone. I believe their new policy changes allow BYOD (Bring your own device). Know that Verizon and compatible devices don't always go hand-in-hand, you should look at the Verizon Z3V, the verizon variant of the Z3. It's a pretty good choice on Ebay right now, because more people want the GSM versions.

That or an LG G2, but those are almost two-years old hardware wise. Should still be speedy, though.

The Nexus 5 won't work on Verizon and only the carrier branded Nexus 6 will.

You are right about the Nexus 5, but that is only because the phone doesn't have the right LTE bands to work on Verizon's network. You are incorrect about the Nexus 6, any N6 will work with Verizon no matter where you buy it from. I bought mine direct from Moto with no branding and it works flawlessly on VZW.

You are right about the Nexus 5, but that is only because the phone doesn't have the right LTE bands to work on Verizon's network. You are incorrect about the Nexus 6, any N6 will work with Verizon no matter where you buy it from. I bought mine direct from Moto with no branding and it works flawlessly on VZW.

Fair enough. I thought for some reason the 3G bands weren't compatible. Admittingly didn't do the research .

Latest posts

Back