need a new bottle capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epistrummer

Reaction score
I've got one of those starter kit 2 handed wing cappers and I'm already tired of it. any recommendations as to which capper I could buy that I might be happy with?

Maybe you want a bench capper. I'm still getting used to the two handed one. It's almost as annoying as waiting a few weeks after capping, before opening the cap again.

Give it a chance. It gets a lot easier. adding something to stabilize the bottles (a piece of wood with a bottle sized hole) also does wonders. That being said. I have gotten used to drinking a while lot of Grolsch. 24 flip top bottles for 20 dollars chapter than your LHBS.

Give it a chance. It gets a lot easier. adding something to stabilize the bottles (a piece of wood with a bottle sized hole) also does wonders. That being said. I have gotten used to drinking a while lot of Grolsch. 24 flip top bottles for 20 dollars chapter than your LHBS.

Same here on Grolsch. Or any flip top bottles (I see a few). I bought the bottle capper because I can't just drink Grolsch all the time though (even with the hot weather). I must needs drink all beers equally.

I have both the "Red Baron" two-handed capper and the "Super Agata" bench capper. For some reason, I have problems centering the bottle under the capping mechanism on the Super Agata. I end up destroying 5-10 bottle caps during a 5-gallon batch bottling session. Therefore, I switched back to the tried and true "Red Baron," and have had no problems capping over two full cases with NO ruined caps.

SledgeH's suggestion of something to steady the bottle is a good idea. I'm going to pursue that idea! Thanks, SledgeH!

glenn514:mug:

I bagged the capper & went with swing tops, Now I can bottle twice as much in half the time & with about 1/2 the effort.
Regards, GF.

I am surprised folks are having trouble. I am new to brewing myself and have had no trouble at all with my two hand capper. I set the bottle down on my counter, throw a lid on it and the drop the capper and squeeze smoothly. Caps effortlesly every time through 10 gallons thus far.

I just bought the Ferarri champagne floor corker with the capper attatchment. It cost more but in the long run I'll never have to buy anything else so it's worth it to me. I've bottled 2 batches with it so far and not only is it easier but faster and I no longer get that dent in the caps that I used to get with the black winged capper. It corks easily as well.

I use the Super Agata bench capper that I mounted to larger piece of wood to stabilize, make sure the capping cup is tight and straight with a little silicone lube and bingo can bottle a 5 .25 gallon batch is 1.5 hours. I like the bench capper but i wish I had my grandfather's all metal one from the 20's... was one solid capper.

I use the super agata as well and it makes a world of difference on bottling day. I secured it to my work bench and it really shortens the bottling time. That said, if you have a good routine for bottling set out the lever capper works fine as well. I just find the bench capper easier to use. I took out the magnet since I put a cap on each bottle after filling so I really didn't need it and that makes the capper easier to use for some reason. Less force needed on it probably explains that.

Back