Need a Grain Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distantdrumming

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good reference for grains, and what each brings to the table? I'm new to all grain and want to start creating my own recipes. The thought of just copying other recipes doesn't appeal to me. I would like to learn by creating my own, but want to make educated decisions on grain choice.

Both Weyerman and Briess have pretty good descriptions of their products on their website. I know it's not the list you were looking for but it's a start.

I appreciate the link lari, thanks. What I'm looking for is something like the subtle differences between briess special, extra special, special b, and crystal 120. How do I choose? I sample what my LHBS has to offer and liked special roast...is that anywhere in the same ball park? Has anyone read the brewing elements book on grain/malt? Would that help?

Malt, while a good read, doesn't really give a lot of information on individual malts. It is mostly about the history, production, and science of malt as a general product. The section that catalogs malt varieties is only a few pages long, with a few sentences devoted to each malt. And it does nothing to address variation between maltsters or their proprietary malts.
The best way to learn about different malts is to taste them and brew with them. Chew the malts you're considering at your LHBS and pick out the one with the flavor you want in your brew. If you like the taste of special roast, give it a shot.

Back