Need a good water profile for a blonde beer medium body

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cacm2226

The Scottish Kilt
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking for a good profile for a medium body blonde ale. I was going to use the yellow beer medium body in beer smith 3 but it's showing a pH of 8........ does that even sound right? I'd would rather use a good one that has a pH that sounds correct.

Chris

Irrelevant because the reading and correction will be made during mash if any?

irrelevant because despite its pH it has very little in the way of inherent buffering capacity (the capacity to resist change in it's pH), so the highly buffered acidity of the grist will vastly overwhelm it during the mash, making the initial water pH irrelevant for all practical purposes.

It's not that. The water may have quite a bit of buffering capacity. The effect of brewing water on mash pH (its buffering) is the same as that of any other mash component. It depends on the alkalinity of that component relative to its intrinsic pH (the pH at which it comes to you) at mash pH (buffering). Here we are speaking of alkalinity generally. It is the amount of acid required to move a unit amount of a mash component from its intrinsic pH to an arbitrary pH. In predicting mash pH that pH is, of course, the pH we want for the mash. When we look at a water report, however, the implied end pH is 4.5 (for the ISO standard definition of water alkalinity). This is lower than mash pH so reported water alkalinity (to pH 4.5) is higher than the water's alkalinity in a mash (to pH 5.4 or so) but not by much as bicarbonate's (which is the major cause of water alkalinity) titration curve starts to level off as mash pH is approached. To really appreciate what I am talking about here you would have to look at the bicarbonate titration curve and calculate some alkalinities to various mash pH's assuming various water intrinsic pH's. You will find that the actual alkalinity presented to a mash does indeed depend on both mash pH and water pH but will quickly discover that mash pH is about 89% of reported pH in most cases. That's because it only takes about 11% more acid to move water to pH 4.5 than it does to move it to 5.4 (because of the flatness of the titration curve in that region). Thus we often say that the effect of water's alkalinity on mash pH does not depend on the water's pH. This is true but only approximately so.

Back