need a good recipe for first try at all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat_Bastard

Reaction score
The title says it all.I am going to try doing my first all grain batch and need a simple, idiot proof recipe.(if there is such a thing)
I'm set up to do 5 gallons and have a 10 gallon cooler for mashing and plan on batch sparging to keep things simple.

The process is going to be mostly the same for any single infusion/ batch sparge recipe... the grain bill and hop additions are the variable.

My first AG was Yooper's Dead Guy Clone.

I just got the ingredients to do EdWort's Haus Pale Ale... which a lot of people do as their first AG.

With that said, brew what you like (or, like I do, what you're in the mood for). Read Bobby_M's double batch sparge write up (link in his sig.) and Denny's "Cheap 'n' Easy" write up ( http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/ ) and you have enough information to get yourself in trouble.

I'm new to AG myself, but I've had some good early results... PM me if you want and I'll detail my process.

Try a Belgian man, do a Belgian Blonde or a Pale Ale. Never disappointed me!

just avoid anything with a lot of wheat or rye. part of why i was interested in getting into all grain was to try a roggenbier. well, that was a stuck mash nightmare.

aside from avoiding rye, maybe try something that will suit your water?

I would start with a pale or amber ale in the 10-14 SRM range; assuming you have no idea of your water chemistry or its effect on mash pH (and who would on their first AG lol?).

I only have a couple all grain batches under my belt as well. Go to the recipe database and click on english pale ale. This is my fav. that I picked up from there. I used Safale 04 for the yeast and it's looking real good. Will go into the keg this weekend. Will let you know what I think.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: British Ale (White Labs #WLP005)
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.015
IBU: 31.1
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 13.6
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 70*
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 * 65*
Tasting Notes: Let this one age!

Recipe: Big O. Bass Ale
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 13.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.82 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 18.18 %
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 5d) Hops -
1.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.6 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11.00 lb

Notes:
------
Mash @ 154* 60 minutes.

Go to the recipes section and find something you like! There are a ton of recipes that are really straight forward. Just don't try a RIS, Trippel, or beer with weird additions.

Go to the recipes section and find something you like! There are a ton of recipes that are really straight forward. Just don't try a RIS, Trippel, or beer with weird additions.

Exactly! You can make any beer that doesn't have a ton of adjuncts like corn, wheat, rice. All the beer recipes for single infusion mash are the same- add the water and grain, stir, walk away for an hour, then vorlauf and sparge.

So pick one that looks good to you! Summer is coming- how about something like a Fat Tire clone? Or, since you can buy Fat Tire, why not make an oatmeal stout? Really, the sky is the limit here. What would you love to make?

My first AG was my DFH clone IPA. I had made it as an extract many times, and was dying to make it my first AG. I still make it often!

going to be doing my first AG this weekend with BM's centennial blonde - for some reason i feel more comfortable starting with something that's a lower OG

Go for Yoopers Fat Sam Amber ale, it is fantastic! I was enjoying a couple of those last night. it is simple to brew and wont break the bank.

Thanks for suggestions,they are all great and I appreciate the input.I have read bobby's blogs and watched most of his vids.I feel fairly comfortable with the process.
I'm leaning toward doing centennial blonde or eds pale ale,yoopers fizzy yellow beer is interesting as well.

Water chemistry is still something of a mystery for me.Right now I am using bottled spring water.They have a water report online and looks like this...

http://crystalgeyserasw.com/docs/Bottled_Water_Report_Shasta.pdf

I have no idea what it means

just avoid anything with a lot of wheat or rye. part of why i was interested in getting into all grain was to try a roggenbier. well, that was a stuck mash nightmare.

aside from avoiding rye, maybe try something that will suit your water?

very good advice. not ready for step-mashing yet :D . edwort's haus pale ale is a good place to start

Saccharomyces' Belgian Pale Ale.

This is a great simple brew that I have gotten so many positive responses about that I just brewed a 10 gal batch last week!!! One of my friends who usually drinks BMC light said I ruined her...her beer now tastes like water and she has been craving my beer all week :D

I brewed it with WLP 550 and I love it, though temp control is pretty important to keep the yeast profile subdued. It is not very bitter but loaded with flavor.

Back