Need a "beer here dark hops" recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slyjeremybrewer

Reaction score
I just recently tried a new beer from Beer Here Brewery out of Norway. It's called "Dark Hops Hoppy Black Ale". Sort of a cross between a dark IPA and a stout! If anyone has tried this and can point me in the right direction to brewing a batch of my own, I would greatly appreciate it. I prefer to do full mash but not opposed to partial mash.

Dark Hops is an American Strong Ale, black and hoppy. Beer Here brewed Dark Hops almost solely for the American market. Dark Hops is brewed with Maris Otter Malt, Brittish Malts, and sugar cane. Hops include Zeus, and Saaz hops. It weighs in at 8.5% ABV. Dark Hops is unfiltered, unpasteurized, and can cellar 3-5 years.

“Dark Hops is a very black beer at 8.5% with one foot firmly planted in stout world and another in India Pale Ale universe.Despite the name, there is nothing covert in this beer is brewed in the finest British Maris Otter malt, roasted barley and juicy Zeus and Saaz hops.”– Christian Anderson

Sounds like a basic American IPA with roasted barley. Sorry, I'm not in recipe formulation mode tonight. Do you have an IPA that you have brewed before?

I've done plenty of IPA's and some Porters but never a Stout. I came across the same info as you did but I also read that there is some smoked malt too, I'm not sure what that is. I'm not real familiar with these grains either so coming up with the right quantities is a bit of a mystery. Also, any ideas on what yeast to go with?

Smoked malt can be listed as Rauch Malt or Rauch Malz. My German is pretty sparse, but I believe Rauch is German for smoke. If you are going for a cleaner, dryer, American style use California Ale yeast. Wyeast 1056, Dry US-05, or the White Labs equivalent. I believe that is WLP001. If you want a more estery, sweeter, even fruity English style use an English ale yeast. I'd have to look those up as many don't come to mind. Nottingham? Windsor?

Smoked malt is to be used with caution. I think I have heard between 1-3%. Your dark malts, the roasted barley, black patent, chocolate, etc should probably be in the 5-10% range.

Back