Need a Barley Wine recipe to celebrate our firstborn son

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfrazier77

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Our firstborn, a boy, will be here around January 15th. :ban: I bot the idea last night to brew a strong English barley wine in celebration. I wanted something that would age well and I could save and drink a bottle on his birthday until he could drink one with me in 21 years. I told me wife who supports my hobby big time, but does not like to get involved herself. She surprised me and wants to brew this one with me. I have made big beers before, strong Scotch ales, 12%, but never a barley wine.

So, I am looking for a good English style barley wine recipe that will stand up well to age. I have a keggle mash tun so room will not be a problem. I thank you all in advance.

If anyone is in the St Louis area in January drinks are on me!:mug:

Congrats!

I tried what I think will be a darn good recipe, but I'm aging it and will try it this Christmas after a full year of bulk aging. Anyway, it was enough Maris Otter to get up to around 1.100, along with a 3.5 hour boil. I think i used 2 oz of EKG hops at 60. Here's a pic of a little sample I took a couple weeks ago.

Alternatives include the Kate the Great recipe thread here on HBT. Congrats again an cheers!

EDIT: Check out Revvy's recipe in this thread too. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/he...emorial-5-year-aged-barleywine-recipe-195096/

image-3397111603.jpg

Look up "Denny's Old Stoner" .... that is what I did for my first Barley wine and it came out very well. I have had some versions that others brewed that were absolutely awesome. I probably needed a bigger starter on mine, and had carbonation problems - but still a great beer. Lots of folks have brewed it and enjoyed it.

** I see you said "english" - so this may not fit the bill for you. But, great beer and maybe worth looking at if you are interested.

Back