Nearly froze my keg, could it mess anything up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElCid79

Reaction score
So I just set my keggerator back up after not using it for YEARS... My house is a little cooler than where I used to live. And I did not take that into consideration. I set the keggerator to what I remembered was my normal setting back in the day for a full keg. Put my CO2 line onto my new batch of brown ale. And threw it in the kegerator and forgot about it.

Fast forward to today, about 5 days in.... I decide to see how its doing, so I open the door and it felt VERY cold in there. I gave the keg a shake, and the beer sloshed around seemingly fine.

So I went down to my kitchen fridge and borrowed the food thermometer.... Put it in the keg, and went about my day. Tonight I went into the keggerator, and noticed it was right around 28-29*

Knowing that beer can freeze in that range, I pulled the keg out of the freezer, turned the temperature way back. And gave the keg a really good shake. It may have had a little slush in it. But I cant tell without opening it, and I don't care to do that.

Question being, will this screw the beer up at all? My thought is no, just give it a good shake afterwards, and all should be well.

What do y'all think??

So I just set my keggerator back up after not using it for YEARS... My house is a little cooler than where I used to live. And I did not take that into consideration. I set the keggerator to what I remembered was my normal setting back in the day for a full keg. Put my CO2 line onto my new batch of brown ale. And threw it in the kegerator and forgot about it.

Fast forward to today, about 5 days in.... I decide to see how its doing, so I open the door and it felt VERY cold in there. I gave the keg a shake, and the beer sloshed around seemingly fine.

So I went down to my kitchen fridge and borrowed the food thermometer.... Put it in the keg, and went about my day. Tonight I went into the keggerator, and noticed it was right around 28-29*

Knowing that beer can freeze in that range, I pulled the keg out of the freezer, turned the temperature way back. And gave the keg a really good shake. It may have had a little slush in it. But I cant tell without opening it, and I don't care to do that.

Question being, will this screw the beer up at all? My thought is no, just give it a good shake afterwards, and all should be well.

What do y'all think??

With regard to CO2, this should be unaffected as long as the beer is in a sealed container - hopefully one that does not split as the beer (90+ % water of course) freezes and expands.

As the temperature of a liquid drops the solubility of CO2 increases. The drop in temp will not cause the CO2 to come out of solution. Careful thawing should reveal that the beer is still carbonated and that the CO2 has remained in solution throughout.

--I found this information doing a little bit of research. I think it's very accurate. Unless your beer was introduced to oxygen during this time it will be fine. There is nothing you can do at this point to cure the problem so just thaw it slowly and get it back in the keggerator at the proper temperature, let it thaw and you will be answering your own question as far as off flavors are concerned.

I've accidentally froze some of my beer before due to a defective temp controller on the freezer. I let it thaw out and we drank it up, not really ideal, but not a big problem either.

don't worry it's just homebrew,

Back