NE Style Pliny the Elder critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elburrogrande

Reaction score
I know this could be consider blasphemy but I have a couple Pliny hop packs and some Yeast I want to use. Rest Assured I will make a pliny clone and follow it to a T sometime in the near future :) This is the recipe I have come up with

expected OG 1.072
Expected FG 1.011
expected ABV around 8%
expected IBU around 60

Fermentables:

66% 2row
21% Flaked wheat
4.5% dextrose
4.5%carapils
3% acid malt
1.5% crystal malt

Mash @151 1 hour

90 minute boil

Hop Schedule:
.75 CTZ 90 minutes 41.9 IBU
.25 CTZ 45 minutes 10.7 IBU
.25 Simcoe 30 Minutes 6.3 IBU
1oz Centennial whirlpool 20 minutes
1.5oz Simcoe whirlpool 20 minutes
2oz CTZ whirlpool 20 minutes

1oz CTZ/ 1oz Centennial/ 1.5oz Simcoe Dry hops added on day 3

1oz CTZ/ .25oz centennial/ 1.5oz Simcoe dry hops added on day 8

Yeast: Imperial A24 from previous brew

Let me know if you have any suggestions or concerns. Will probably brew this on Friday. I can play around with the hops but this is what comes in the Pliny Hop Pack so Ill likely not be adding extra hops.

I'd cut down on the bittering charge if you're going NE style. I'd do .5 oz of CTZ at 60 and get rid of the 45 minute addition. I'd move the .5 oz of CTZ you save there to 10 minutes. I'd get rid of the 30 minute Simcoe addition and move it either to 10, the whirlpool, or the dry hop. All of this is of course just my opinion and what I'd do with the ingredients you have on hand.

Good luck and it should turn out great!

I know this could be consider blasphemy but I have a couple Pliny hop packs and some Yeast I want to use. Rest Assured I will make a pliny clone and follow it to a T sometime in the near future :) This is the recipe I have come up with

expected OG 1.072

Expected FG 1.011

expected ABV around 8%

expected IBU around 60

Fermentables:

66% 2row

21% Flaked wheat

4.5% dextrose

4.5%carapils

3% acid malt

1.5% crystal malt

Mash @151 1 hour

90 minute boil

Hop Schedule:

.75 CTZ 90 minutes 41.9 IBU

.25 CTZ 45 minutes 10.7 IBU

.25 Simcoe 30 Minutes 6.3 IBU

1oz Centennial whirlpool 20 minutes

1.5oz Simcoe whirlpool 20 minutes

2oz CTZ whirlpool 20 minutes

1oz CTZ/ 1oz Centennial/ 1.5oz Simcoe Dry hops added on day 3

1oz CTZ/ .25oz centennial/ 1.5oz Simcoe dry hops added on day 8

Yeast: Imperial A24 from previous brew

Let me know if you have any suggestions or concerns. Will probably brew this on Friday. I can play around with the hops but this is what comes in the Pliny Hop Pack so Ill likely not be adding extra hops.

The ABV seems on the high side for this style you might cut back on the dextrose and I would remove the crystal. The other suggestions on hop additions are on point. You don't need a big bittering charge and all other additions should be 10 min or less. Make sure to let that whirlpool or hopstand go at least 30 min.

Brew it up and let us know how it works. I made something similar back in July and it came out delicious. Continue blaspheming.

changed your bitterng addition to FWH, and change the 45min to 30mins with your other additions, then continue as normal.

suggest removing all crystal and dextrose, and make it simple.
pale malt/flaked wheat with your acid malt for ph.

changed your bitterng addition to FWH, and change the 45min to 30mins with your other additions, then continue as normal.

suggest removing all crystal and dextrose, and make it simple.
pale malt/flaked wheat with your acid malt for ph.

That's exactly how I'd do it for a NE style, though I might keep the carapils. Hope to hear how it turns out!

I'd cut down on the bittering charge if you're going NE style. I'd do .5 oz of CTZ at 60 and get rid of the 45 minute addition. I'd move the .5 oz of CTZ you save there to 10 minutes. I'd get rid of the 30 minute Simcoe addition and move it either to 10, the whirlpool, or the dry hop. All of this is of course just my opinion and what I'd do with the ingredients you have on hand.

Good luck and it should turn out great!

First off I want to say that the Pliny Pack from farmhouse is a great deal. This is what comes with it

3.00 oz CTZ 13.90% A.A. 90 min.
.75 oz CTZ 13.90% A.A. 45 min.
1.00 oz Simcoe 12.30% A.A. 30 min.
1.00 oz Centennial 8.00% A.A. 0 min.
2.50 oz Simcoe 12.30% A.A. 0 min.
1.00 oz CTZ 13.90% A.A. Dry Hop
1.00 oz Centennial 9.10% A.A. Dry Hop
1.00 oz Simcoe 12.30% A.A. Dry Hop
.25 oz CTZ 13.90% A.A. Dry Hop
.25 oz Centennial 9.10% A.A. Dry Hop
.25 oz Simcoe 12.30% A.A. Dry Hop

Comes out to just a little over a dollar an ounce. I also added 1 oz of Amarillo. One thing I didn't foresee was that the additions come combined in packs. so this is what I ended up doing.

.75oz FWH CTZ
.25 Simcoe 10minutes
.25 Amarillo 10 minutes
2.5 oz centennial/simcoe mix 20 min whirlpool
2ozCTZ 20 minute whirl pool

I combined the rest of the hops and split them in half for dry hopping. I mixed in the rest of the .75oz of Amarillo to the second dry hop charge so it looks like this

3.25oz of CTZ/Centennial/Simcoe added on day 2
4oz of CTZ/Centennial/Simcoe/Amarillo added on day 8

I'd swap the flaked wheat for flaked oats or barely.

And echo the comments from above. roughly 35IBU from boil additions, and the rest is flameout, whirlpool, and dryhop.

OG came in at 1.066 but I have yet to add the dextrose which will put me at 1.073 right on the money. I have been wanting to play around with minimizing oxidation during dry hopping so I saved a quart of wort and dissolved the dextrose and put it in the fridge. Ill add it a day or two before the second dry hop charge.

I'd swap the flaked wheat for flaked oats or barely.

And echo the comments from above. roughly 35IBU from boil additions, and the rest is flameout, whirlpool, and dryhop.

From my calculations this will be about 45 IBU. I have already brewed it, its fermenting right now but for sure next time ill try out flaked oats. Only reason I went with flaked wheat is because I have had success with it in the past.

Water chemistry is the area I have the most to learn. This is the most I have tampered with my water. This is my water profile and I added 2.5g gypsum and 3g cal. Chloride. I am hoping it won't be too mineraly

water2.jpg

Curious about this style. Is the large % of flaked grain in the mash how you get that body and cloudiness in the beer? I live close to cellermaker in CA and they make killer NE style beers and I was wondering how they get that profile. I figured that it was flaked grain but in some minimal research it was appearing that wasn't the case. Thanks (don't mean to thread jack)

Curious about this style. Is the large % of flaked grain in the mash how you get that body and cloudiness in the beer? I live close to cellermaker in CA and they make killer NE style beers and I was wondering how they get that profile. I figured that it was flaked grain but in some minimal research it was appearing that wasn't the case. Thanks (don't mean to thread jack)

haze is from the practice of huge whirlpool and dry hops and the timing of them. flaked grains help with mouth feel mostly, but maybe a little bit of the look. Haze is NOT from yeast (you can make these with plenty of strains that make crystal clear beers).

The goal of the "north east" style is simply to get a smooth, easy bitterness IPA that is overloaded with aroma and taste.

haze is from the practice of huge whirlpool and dry hops and the timing of them. flaked grains help with mouth feel mostly, but maybe a little bit of the look. Haze is NOT from yeast (you can make these with plenty of strains that make crystal clear beers).

The goal of the "north east" style is simply to get a smooth, easy bitterness IPA that is overloaded with aroma and taste.

I don't think the haze is mostly from Whirlpool hopping.
I've done similar whirlpool hopping in non flaked grain bills, and after a gelatin addition, they're clear as day. where as my Oats flaked oats beers tend to be hazy no matter how i fine.

your right that yeast is not the issue. but i believe that its a reaction of sorts between the Flaked grain and hops. that to me is essentially what creates the unremovable haze.

Just an update. This is a delicious NE DIPA. Cheap too as the pliny pack costs $15.99. This is the finish product :)

15230780_10209517040637233_1583559378189772246_n.jpg

What was your final recipe?
pliny pack from farmhouse supplies plus 1 oz of Amarillo.

.75oz FWH CTZ
.25 Simcoe 10minutes
.25 Amarillo 10 minutes
2.5 oz centennial/simcoe mix 20 min whirlpool
2ozCTZ 20 minute whirl pool

I combined the rest of the hops and split them in half for dry hopping. I mixed in the rest of the .75oz of Amarillo to the second dry hop charge so it looks like this

3.25oz of CTZ/Centennial/Simcoe added on day 2
4oz of CTZ/Centennial/Simcoe/Amarillo added on day 8

Latest posts

Back