NE IPA Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RipC1ty

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first NE IPA as I have recently stumbled upon some great NEIPAs. I am looking for some feedback on my All-Grain recipe I am looking at doing this weekend.

8lbs 2-row
4lbs- wheat
.5lbs- carapils

1 oz Azacca Pellet- 15 min
1 oz Citra Pellet- 15 min
1 oz Azacca Pellet- 5 min
1 oz Citra Pellet- 5 min
1 oz Azacca Pellet- 1 min
1 oz Citra Pellet- 1 min

2oz Citra Pellet- 7 day dry hop
1oz Azacca Pellet- 7 day dry hop

Safale US-05 yeast.

Any feedback appreciated!

I agree, that is a low of wheat, but not neccessarily a problem. It might possibly lend too much of that " wheat " phenolic* flavour in the beer.

I noticed you do not have a whirlpool addition. I would highly recommend only adding 1 oz for " bittering " at 15 minutes left in the boil, stop the boil, cool down the wort and add 4 oz of hops, make a little whirlpool and let it steep for 15-20 minutes. Cool down further and transfer.

Add the first dry hopping at day 2-3 with 1 oz Citra and 1 Azacca. Then 3-4 days later add the rest of hops.

I would however add, that you are low on hops, if this is a 5-6 gallon batch.

That doesn’t really look like a NEIPA to me. I would do a small bittering charge at 60 (to hit around 20-30 IBUs), then finish the boil, cool to 170, and steep about six ounces of hops for 45-60 minutes. Then one or preferably two really large dry hop additions of around 4-6 oz each. And use a yeast like 1318 that won’t drop clear and strip out flavor. I also really suggest a couple lb of oats in the mash, maybe replacing half that wheat.

What you’ve got would be a fine IPA, just not really the style you say you’re looking for (in my opinion).

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I will be adding some oats to the mash and whirlpooling my hops for the aroma/flavor.

Back