NB Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilssoninlaw

Reaction score
I just got this 5 gal kit in the mail. I've brewed this one before and liked it but wanted to play with it a bit, I'd like to keep it subtle while experimenting some.

I was thinking brown sugar or honey at the end of the boil but wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas. Thanks!!

I have used brown sugar in several brown ales. It is said that everything ferments out and you shouldn't get any flavor from it, just a little higher ABV. That has not been my experience. It might be only that I am expecting the flavor and it is not really there, but I believe it adds something to the beer.

I usually add a full pound.

It is said that everything ferments out and you shouldn't get any flavor from it, just a little higher ABV. That has not been my experience.

It has not been my experience either.

With buckwheat honey, I found that https://beerandbrewing.com/buckwheat-esb-honey-ale-recipe/ was an interesting recipe -- there were colors/flavors that did not "ferment out".

Mastering Homebrew and/or Radical Brewing is probably a good reference for brewing with flavored sugars and speciality honey.

I was thinking brown sugar or honey at the end of the boil but wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas.

Hazelnuts (Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar), coffee (Surly Coffee Blender) and fruit would be other options.

Brown sugar--at least what you typically find in the US--is just white sugar soaked in molasses. It ferments out leaving behind very little molasses flavor. Unless your goal is to thin out your beer with a little molasses flavor contribution you would be better off just using molasses to flavor. It will ferment a little but not nearly as much.

There are plenty of other sugar/syrup options out there to consider. Various honeys, treacle, malt syrups, maple and other tree syrups, etc.

Brown sugar--at least what you typically find in the US--is just white sugar soaked in molasses. It ferments out leaving behind very little molasses flavor. Unless your goal is to thin out your beer with a little molasses flavor contribution you would be better off just using molasses to flavor. It will ferment a little but not nearly as much.

There are plenty of other sugar/syrup options out there to consider. Various honeys, treacle, malt syrups, maple and other tree syrups, etc.

As I said earlier, that has not been my experience. The beers have not been thin and I did detect flavors.

I am a big fan of coffee added to my brown ales. I like to add about 4 ounces of whole coffee beans a week before I keg the beer. Just go with one of your favorites.

Thanks for the feed back gentlemen! I'll be brewing this kit on the next rainy day. I'm trying to get out and enjoy the weather before it starts getting nasty out.

I'm planning to add some strong chai tea to a brown ale. Thinking about brewing a strong batch and adding it when I keg. It will lower the ABV, but I'm ok with that.

I've brewed Nut Brown a few times with reduced bitterness - about 0.30 BU:GU ratio (say 15 IBUs for 1.050 OG). It seems to give it a whole different flavor - I like it a lot.

Back