NB Bourbon Barrel Porter Extract Kit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPC666

Reaction score
Just brewed this up last Saturday June 18. I made a starter with some Wyeast Scottish ale yeast and Fast Pitch. Actually a double batch. Pitched it when the wort had cooled and before the next morning that thing was foamy and bubbling. OG 1.062. Here we are 4 days later and no real activity in the airlock, so I opened up to take a look, foam had made almost to the lid but is now back down to level. Took a gravity reading and is said 1.022. Is that possible that fast? Tastes like freaking porter, a little fizzy even. Still have about 10 days till I go to secondary. Am I reading this thing right, is it wacky?

Attachments

• View recent photos (1).jpg
    View recent photos (1).jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 0
How is this coming along? I'm interested in doing a beer like this and wonder if this is a good kit.
Of course it is a good kit but be aware that a beer with this much alcohol will take more time to mature than lighter color and lower alcohol beers. I prefer my darker beers when they have been bottled for 3 to 6 months. if your rush this beer to be drinking it, it will have much more harsh flavors.

Its a great kit and RM-MN is correct. The longer it sits the more flavor profiles you will notice. After about 6-9 months it really comes into its own with chocolate and vanilla flavors. Go easy on the bourbon as it can overpower the beer

How is this coming along? I'm interested in doing a beer like this and wonder if this is a good kit.
Bottling this week, been in secondary 4-5weeks with the oak and bourbon, tastes and smells great! Let you know in a few weeks when it is conditioned. As others have said can't wait for it to age.

Final Gravity 1.016 Left in on the oak for 5 weeks or so.

ABV 6.3%

Smells just like a porter! Go figure!

Boozy whiff in the bottling bucket.

Gonna crack one Sunday the 5th, just to see. I used Fast prime for this one. ended up with just under 5 gal.

This was brewed to coincide with my son graduating his A school in the Navy.

Calling it "The Quiet Professional"

Boy, I was very happy with the final product, delicious, drank 3 of the Grolsch bottles I used. Not too overpowering with bourbon or oak. balanced flavors. I hope it keeps getting better with time. Brewing an IPA next.

Just brewed this up last Saturday June 18. I made a starter with some Wyeast Scottish ale yeast and Fast Pitch. Actually a double batch. Pitched it when the wort had cooled and before the next morning that thing was foamy and bubbling. OG 1.062. Here we are 4 days later and no real activity in the airlock, so I opened up to take a look, foam had made almost to the lid but is now back down to level. Took a gravity reading and is said 1.022. Is that possible that fast? Tastes like freaking porter, a little fizzy even. Still have about 10 days till I go to secondary. Am I reading this thing right, is it wacky?
Here's mine from back in February of 2022. It started @ 1.072 and finished @ 1.021 w/ approximately 70% attenuation. Has a nice sweet full-bodied flavor. Overall, I was pleased with the success as I only had a couple of brews under my belt @ that time. Have since been working on IPAs w/ a SMASH paradigm.

Attachments

• Porter from winter 2022.jpg
    Porter from winter 2022.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back