Navy vs. Marines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man that is funny, my brother in laws will love this...one is was a Marine the other was in the Navy:D

aren't the Marines a department of the Navy? LOL

My father in law loves to get his boys fired up!!

Calls the younger one (Navy), Squid, and the older (Marine) Jr Squid, it's good stuff to watch them bicker back and fourth:D

What do you call the 13 button flap on the Navy Enlisted dress uniform?..........Marine Corps table cloth

What is long and hard on a Marine?............................3rd grade

Why did the Chicken cross the road?...........to get away from the Marine
Why did the Marine cross the road?.............His dick was stuck in the chicken

Here's an interesting story:

I once knew a guy who had been in the Navy. Started out as a Corpsman and ended up in Food Safety inspections or something. Most of his enlistment was served with Marine units rather than Navy. Prior to joining the Navy he seriously considered going into the Marines, but backed out at the last minute and went with the Navy. He had been sort of a tough-guy jock football player in high school, so I think it always ate at him that he went in the Navy instead of Marines. Everytime someone asked him about his military service, instead of saying he was "in the Navy", I noticed he would always say he "served with the Marines." I never got involved with those branches of service contests. I figure everyone chooses their branch for their own reasons and they're all good. But that guy trying to imply he was in the Marines pissed me off as a former Marine.:mad:

Here's an interesting story:

But that guy trying to imply he was in the Marines pissed me off as a former Marine.:mad:

How could a corpman saying that he worked with marines piss you off.....last I looked they piece you guys back together on the battelfield. This is the kind of **** that pisses me off with interservice rivalries.

How could a corpman saying that he worked with marines piss you off.....last I looked they piece you guys back together on the battelfield. This is the kind of **** that pisses me off with interservice rivalries.

Woah, woah... for the record, I appreciate all branches of the service. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear in my post... he tried to imply without telling an outright lie, that he was IN the Marines. Had he said, "I was a Navy Corpsman serving with Marines", I wouldn't have thought twice about it. But he didn't... he would always answer military service questions with "I served with the Marines" and try to leave it at that. He would only actually say he was in the Navy when absolutely pressed. I was more upset that he tried to misrepresent himself than anything to do with the military.

I like to jest about the different services but in all honesty have no personal quarrels with any branch. I'm in the Navy and spent four years in Hawaii living in Army housing so most of my neighbors were in that branch. Some of the guys I hung out with there would say things like "I could never work on a submarine, I couldn't handle it" and I'm thinking, you guys go out to the desert and get shot at. Every branch has it's job, and I'm thankful that someone is willing to step up to the plate and do the **** that I wouldn't want to do.

I have more of a rivalry/dislike with the nuclear trained personnel on the submarines I serve on. (Coners vs. Nukes), than I do for another branch.

I was more upset that he tried to misrepresent himself than anything to do with the military.

I can understand that. The FMF Corpsman that I've met have all been really good at what they do. Those guys have some serious experience in the field. They were all very proud of their work with the Marines, but never forgot who they were. Maybe I'm biased because I only worked with the best of the best Corpsman on Submarines.

I thought Navy corpsmen went through boot camp with Marines.

No they don't. That isn't to say they don't have their own intense training. After their Navy Bootcamp (Great Lakes?), if they're slated to work with Marines, I believe they go to Pendleton/Lejeune for some pretty rigorous training.

When my son garduated at MCRD, there were three or four guys in sailor suits in his company. I thought he told me they were corpsmen.

I do have a joke guaranteed to cause a fight in any bar where servicemen are drinking. I won't post it here because it is in TERRIBLE taste, but ya'll can PM me if you want to hear it...

When my son garduated at MCRD, there were three or four guys in sailor suits in his company. I thought he told me they were corpsmen.

Yup. They were probably there looking after the recruits. Not to mention they're pretty active in their training, they were probably there to catch anyone who fainted from standing at attention too long. Happens every graduation.

You can't be a corpsman until after completing navy bootcamp and then going through Corp-School....used to be in Great Lakes but is now in San Antonio. It's a joint service school and all medics of all branches are going there now. Even then you only have a basic knowledge of things and need to spend some time in a clinical setting or in the field to get experience.

FMSS is in Pendleton and Lejeune. (Field Med Service School). That's where they learn to do casevacs/triage/work in the field. It's less bootcamp and more basic responder.

Not to mention they're pretty active in their training, they were probably there to catch anyone who fainted from standing at attention too long. Happens every graduation.

I don't know... it didn't happen at my graduation at Parris Island. After several recruits cracked their heads open on footlockers from standing at attention in the squad bay at the beginning of boot camp, everyone learned real quick not to lock their knees. I don't recall having corpsman in our graduation formation. But I'm sure there are medical personnel standing by at any event like that.

I served 13 years in the Canoe club (USN) spent many years alongside Marines. Marines used to guard the gates at all Navy installations and still guard all special weapons sites.
I respect what Marines do but damn...A box of rocks was smarter than most I've met.

I served 13 years in the Canoe club (USN) spent many years alongside Marines. Marines used to guard the gates at all Navy installations and still guard all special weapons sites.
I respect what Marines do but damn...A box of rocks was smarter than most I've met.

Hey, that's not cool! When I went into the Marines, the ASVAB score requirement was among the highest in the services. Don't judge Marines for those on guard duty. They're usually put there for a reason. I was in the airwing. Stupidity there can cause a crash. After the Marines, I went onto college in a hard science and graduated Magna Cum Laude. Am I smarter than a box of rocks?

Whoa Whoa Whoa.....there's more than a few marines out there that are some of the most determined intelligent individuals on the planet. We're lucky to have them. I went to Purdue with a marine who was in the nuclear engineering program. Did he need to get that degree? No, he was likely going to go back out to the fleet and be an infantry officer. He could have gotten a degree in poli sci like everyone else, but he was up for the challenge. Got better grades than most of the Navy guys, and complained a hell of a lot less. He could also run rings around them physically. It's all about the individual. Each service has got their Chesty Pullers and Gomer Pyle's.

Yeah, the mentality that one branch of the service has more intelligent people overall is good for fun and games, but definately not true. I would gladly take and train some Marines to replace some of the complete morons I've dealt with in the Navy on both the supervisor and subordinate level.

I see I have touched a nerve.:D True-all the Marines I have ever dealt with were on guard duty.

McKBrew, I can't agree with you more. I got out at 13 years because I couldn't handle the BS anymore. I was a high ranking babysitter. Screw that.

There are mutants in every branch of the military... that's part of what makes it so interesting being in it. I got out of the Navy in 1995 and have lifelong friends from both the Navy & Marines.

I do know quite a few Marine jokes, though.... :)

Oddly enough, the Marines are the only service that REQUIRES a HS diploma to join. Waivers on this happen, but VERY seldom. GED will get you into any of the other services.

As far as inter-service rivalry...in the last 17 years, I've served with great men and women in ALL services. As I age and mature I realize that if I could do it all over again, I'd join the Air Force--they get more money and spend most of it on taking care of their people. Then again, as prideful and intense as I am as a person, the Air Force probably would've just pissed me off.

BTW...I'll admit that Marines aren't known for their smarts, but plenty of us do our best to break that mold. I teach literature and writing by night at Hawaii Pacific University, when I'm not running young Sergeants into the dirt by day.

Semper Fidelis,
Minor
sends

I was in the Army for 7 years active, Artillery.

I trained with the Special Forces and did two beach assaults at Little Creek, VA, but I've never said I served with the Green Berets...duh!!

I currently have over 34 service time...I retire next year. :rockin:

Do you know why Marines are on Navy ships?

To give the sailors new dancing partners...:D

I'm in the Navy and spent four years in Hawaii living in Army housing
Sorry but glad you survived :) I spent three tours there living in Navy Housing .. $10K shacks on $3mil plots of land.. And the Army housing was the worst.

Do you know why Marines are on Navy ships?

Because sheep would be too obvious:D

Fixed it for ya!

CS1(SS) Shmuckatelli, USN

Edit: On submarines, we barely had enough space for the necessary crew, let alone extra Marines. Besides, the only good Marine is a Submarine :)

I was a Marine. There is some rivalry in the branch, but from my experience we took the corpsman in like they were our own. In fact I think they were looked out for by my fellow Marines.

Funny thing about them is we never knew their real first names, they always went by "Doc".

As for Marines being dumb.... I'm a mechanical engineer.

we took the corpsman in like they were our own. In fact I think they were looked out for by my fellow Marines.

Yes, one had to stay on their good side because they had access to our medical records. They could easily "misplace" our vaccination log. Getting Plague vaccinations all over again would suck!:D

Back