"Natural" Yeast Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignoramus012

Reaction score
After brewing extract kits intermittently for two years, I've been delving deeper into the home brewing hobby.

I made two ciders that have been aging and/or bottle conditioning for about six months. One in particular came out really hot. I learned that this is due to, in part, increased production of fusel alcohols by the yeast because of unhealthy fermentation. Having been used to only beers, I was unaware of the need for yeast nutrients.

So, when I decided to make my first mead this week, I made sure to purchase some yeast nutrient/ energizer from my LHBS. I put 5 tsp of this mix into the must at pitch. While I realize the yeast need these compounds, it just didn't feel right dumping these weird smelling powders into my sweet must (separate but related question: later, I also found out that it's better to add a little bit over the first few days of fermentation rather than all at once. I'm not entirely convinced there's much difference. Can someone set me straight with some solid science?). I don't really think that organic foods are inherently better than those that are conventionally grown/ made. My aversion to the compounds in this form is purely visceral. Water, honey and yeast seem to be such pure ingredients, it felt like I was tainting the must.

That being said, I looked up some more "natural" solutions. I've read that raisins, black tea, lemon juice, and even grape nuts and dead yeast contain the necessary compounds (another separate but related question: if I were to use dead yeast, could I take a leftover yeast cake from another brew, freeze it , then thaw it out when needed, or would these fluctuations in temperature destroy the compounds?). I'm unsure what is best. Ideally, I'd like to find something or a mix of things that adds a minimum of taste to the end product but still allows for healthy fermentation (and, if it is indeed necessary, a mix that I might be able to add at staggered intervals).

What suggestions can you make for me? Thanks!

Mead is a tougher ferment, mostly because honey contains very little nutrients. Of course, it still will ferment but there is usually a flavor impact from stressed yeast, and fermentation may stall. We have a pretty good FAQ "sticky" in the mead area, where these links come from, and all the information is fairly well organized.

http://home.comcast.net/~mzapx1/FAQ/HoneyFerm.pdf

Here is some info on staggered nutrient additions and why they are beneficial, written by an experienced meadmaker: http://home.comcast.net/~mzapx1/FAQ/SNAddition.pdf

And some info on nutrients and energizers, and what they are: http://home.comcast.net/~mzapx1/FAQ/Nutrients.pdf

It's basic info, and not full of information on why honey needs nutrients, etc, but it gives some easy to understand info on the very basics of a healthy mead fermentation.

OK, so the first document you linked says:

Yeast prefer that nutrients be added in increments over the first 1/3 of the fermentation. When all of the nutrients are added only at the beginning a large cell mass is produced with each cell having a low protein content. This low protein content makes it difficult to complete the fermentation and withstand the alcohol toxicity near the end.

and

Too large an influx of nitrogen can also be harmful to the yeasts. It throws the cell's metabolism off-balance
leading to flavor problems, nitrogen wasting, and can even "yeast suicide", and fermenting too fast a can generate enough heat to kill the yeast.

So, it sounds like right now I'm risking stuck fermentation towards the end and possibly off-flavors. If fermentation ends early, it sounds like I might have a slightly sweeter mead that might cover up the off flavors. Is this a realistic assumption?

It's about 36 hours since I pitched, and I already put a lot of nutrient in there already, so it seems too late to fix this. I did aerate yesterday evening and I plan to aerate again tonight. I would have aerated at these points had I followed a staggered schedule so I figure it couldn't hurt. Am I wrong?

Fermentation seemed pretty vigorous this morning. I was looking at this as a good thing, but perhaps the yeasties are overzealous. I suppose I should just RDWHAB, chalk it up to a learning experience, and do things differently next time.

I'm still looking for more natural solutions to nutrients, though.

OK, so the first document you linked says:

and

So, it sounds like right now I'm risking stuck fermentation towards the end and possibly off-flavors. If fermentation ends early, it sounds like I might have a slightly sweeter mead that might cover up the off flavors. Is this a realistic assumption?

It's about 36 hours since I pitched, and I already put a lot of nutrient in there already, so it seems too late to fix this. I did aerate yesterday evening and I plan to aerate again tonight. I would have aerated at these points had I followed a staggered schedule so I figure it couldn't hurt. Am I wrong?

Fermentation seemed pretty vigorous this morning. I was looking at this as a good thing, but perhaps the yeasties are overzealous. I suppose I should just RDWHAB, chalk it up to a learning experience, and do things differently next time.

I'm still looking for more natural solutions to nutrients, though.

It doesn't sound like you overdid the nutrients- it seems about right. The degassing/aerating is good, and I think you're on track.

I'm not sure about "natural" solutions to nutrients (is DAP totally unnatural?) so I'll have to defer to others on that. I don't really know of any natural (and pleasant tasting) nitrogen source for mead.

I'm not sure about "natural" solutions to nutrients (is DAP totally unnatural?) so I'll have to defer to others on that. I don't really know of any natural (and pleasant tasting) nitrogen source for mead.

This is why I put natural in quotes. I understand that the nutrients are naturally occurring compounds, but they don't occur naturally in the form you buy them. I'm looking for additives such as raisins or dead yeast (and the amounts to use) that contain the compounds, but in a less processed form and that impart a minimum of additional flavors to the must. I understand things like that will impart some flavor, but I'd like the honey to largely speak for itself.

I have used packets of bread yeast to make nutrient out of curiosity. I boiled them in a bit of water to kill them and put that in. I did that in a red wine that finished a few weeks ago, and it was a pretty tasty wine.

How big were the packets and how many did you use? Doesn't red grape juice also already contain nutrients due to soaking the grape skins in it?

I have used packets of bread yeast to make nutrient out of curiosity. I boiled them in a bit of water to kill them and put that in. I did that in a red wine that finished a few weeks ago, and it was a pretty tasty wine.

Yeast envelopes? Come on, show we're zymurgists here.
Bread yeast comes in one pound vacuum bricks, 2-pack for $4.50 at Sam's club.

That makes a lot of yeast food. And spent grain bread.
Yummier and healthier than your $5 Pepperidge Farm varieties that won't even mold after 2 weeks in your kitchen cabinet.

Back