Natural carbed keg question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmlavoy

Reaction score
I have a keg that I primed with sugar. It's at room temp right now. I pulled a sample to be sure it was carbed, and while there is clearly loads of carbonation, it didn't seem like the beer liquid itself was very fizzy.

When I chill the keg, is that carbonation going to diffuse into the liquid? I know this question is a little amateurish, but I haven't kegged much.

I always force carb mine cold, but just to get the questions started......

How long has it been sitting and how much sugar did you use?

I would have done it cold like that too, but it's just not an option at the moment.

It's been sitting for about two months, and I used 2.5 ounces of sugar. Like I said, when I pulled the sample, it was super super foamy, and I didn't even hook it up to gas. There was plenty of pressure to push about 4 ounces of beer out.

When I get some extra kegs I wil be doing that, too. I have three in the kegerator now and two are on tap. I would be happy with a couple more aging at room temperature.

I have a keg that I primed with sugar. It's at room temp right now. I pulled a sample to be sure it was carbed, and while there is clearly loads of carbonation, it didn't seem like the beer liquid itself was very fizzy.

When I chill the keg, is that carbonation going to diffuse into the liquid? I know this question is a little amateurish, but I haven't kegged much.

The pressure is probably crazy high when its warm like that. You want to chill it so that co2 gets absorbed into the solution better. Just like with bottles.

Yes, it will stay in the beer once it's cold. It's probably sitting at 25psi right now being that warm. Do NOT purge the pressure while it's warm or you'll waste all the CO2.

Back