National Homebrew Day Giveaway!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't do much to further the cause I fear. Other than offering home-brew to anyone who is at our house and talking about brewing if anyone asks about it I can't claim to have strengthened the community.

I find it hard to shut up to be honest when asked about the hobby. It is hard to keep the passion I feel toward brewing from simmering over into a whole lot of verbal gobbledygook when someone seems to be interested. Mea culpa.

Gavin, I sorta understand. I don't volunteer the info, but if someone asks, I start babbling on & on, mostly about stuff I have never even done yet, but have learned from reading this site. It's amazing how much I've soaked up in just a few weeks. I can't wait to get my next batch of beer going, finally using some specialty grains in my extract brew!

That being said, I am looking at my empty LBK and thinking there is no reason to not get some Apflewein going in it. No hops to skunk, and room-temp fermentation? I just need to go find some good apple cider & hit the LHBS on the way home to get the yeast & corn sugar!

:ban:

Yup. Then those eyes roll back white,...aaaah, then ya here that whiny sound. If they spoke their mind, they'd rip ya ta pieces. I still get that, except from my wife. She hates not being able to drink my beers, now that I've progressed. Today was a series of unfortunate events, culminating in my right ( read good leg) going to sleep on a barstool at the stove with the boil kettle. I got past a thick hot break & added the magnum bittering charge. I tried to get up, & some ice under the stoll's leg slipped, my right leg didn't respond and I proceeded to trash the sink cabinet with this old cinder block head of mine. Couldn't get back up with out three of my sons helping me back to my knees, then to my feet. And before that, I was pressing the grain bag in the colander on top of the BK to squeeze some more juice out. The colander slipped & bloosh! all over the stove, the floor & me! Still got some 3 1/2 gallons + of wort though. I'm breaking my rule & having a Great Divide Orabelle & bourbon....Dang, my back hurts. Here's a couple more pics of brew day...
The BK/MT wrapped up for the one hour mash-

The mash after one hour's up-

Went to a big brew event at the LHBS. Didn't actually brew, but i went and drank someone else's beer. Also didn't hang out long because i'm a midwesterner in the springtime and didn't bring sunscreen.

My BIL just texted me with several questions about the cream ale he was bottling (low og/fg, etc) I was able to talk him through it and ease his mind.

coffee-youre-on-the-bench.jpg

Ummm, can't say I have had a chance to advance brewing, as I've only just started! Trying to support my LHBSs, share my products and spread the word among family and friends about the fun of fermentation.

I answer as many questions as I can with my level of expertise. Giving the people with less experience some knowledge and giving the people with more knowledge a break to answer harder questions.

I like to spread the knowledge of what it actually takes to make beer. I have shown my girlfriend how its done and gotten her interested in making cider.

I started with a mr beer kit in 2009, did a few extract kits and am now doing BIAB, and have inspired at least two friends to start brewing in the last year. Next steps for me are refining my recipes, learning more about water chemistry, and more experience with sours, wild fermentation and weird beers. I also have coached 4 other friends and coworkers for " best beginner kit to buy as a gift" type questions this year.

Well, I wound up with a 1.056 OG against estimate of 1.059. I fell & spilled some wort too though, so **** did happen. Whirlfloc did a heck of a job too! Got wort down to 63F as well, so I'm doing ok with this one so far.:mug: Happy National Home Brewer's day y'all! I'm done...

My original first batch early this year didn't go so well, the 5 gallon boil pot wouldn't work on a flat electric stove, I used a solution too strong of sanitizer (1 ounce of Saniclean to 1 gallon of water) since I was using Mark's II Kegwasher to sanitize, and it was fermenting in a basement too cool for an Ale (~56 degrees).

To rectify my problems from the above, I bought a Blichmann burner for outside, Starsan to sanitize, waited for warmer weather and brought the carboy in the kitchen, where fermentation is now a steady 68 degrees.

I haven't even tasted my first batch and am already hooked!

Brewed a Belgian golden strong for national home brew day with a friend who hadn't brewed in 15 years. He's back in!! We've gone through the gamut of beers today too. Currently contrasting ruination original and 2.0 View attachment 275412

I hear we will soon be getting Ruination v. 3.0 soon - the lady at the LBS said it was more "user friendly." Sounds like it will be a downgrade...

:D

I first tried brewing back in 1995, in Eugene, Oregon. I was fortunate to have a chance to meet Chris Studach at his house and sample his delicious homebrewed Hazelnut Brown. In 2008, I restarted brewing and did extracts on the stovetop for a while, with decent results. About two years ago, I jumped into all-grain and have been endlessly expanding my equipment and modifying my methods. Last year, for example, I got a big new kettle, a pump and lots of hoses, and a freezer with a BrewBit for lagering. I just bottled a doppelbock after 6+ months of lagering and I can't wait to taste it. I've had numerous friends over for brewing, and even designed a recipe for one of them. Homebrewtalk has been an amazing resource -- thanks to Austin, the mods, and the many fantastic contributors. Looking forward to a lot more learning, experimentation, and fun brewing. Cheers!

How have I advanced home brewing. I have not advanced the art/science of home brewing. However, I have advanced as a home brewer, so I hope that counts.

I started with a few batches of disappointing extract, then decided I needed to brew AG to make better beer. Probably that was wrong, but no matter. I enjoy AG.

I came up with a very low cost "brew stand" to try out AG until I could build a nice stand. It turns out I like manual brewing and never saw a need to upgrade my setup. I've posted it a couple times on here before, and everyone has politely decided not to say anything if they couldn't say anything nice. I have thick skin, so I will risk another picture.

IMG_1214.jpg

Woohoo, after a beautiful Pittsburgh day, spent with my family, I squeezed in 10 gal batch of my cream ale after getting the kids off to bed. Happy National Homebrew Day!

Oh yeah, I got a coworker into home brewing and another coworker and I spend our daily rants about brewing beer, sharing homebrews and all around making a great friendship.

Here's what I do to promote home brewing - I give away beer...today I'm brewing 10 gallons for a wedding - I'm hoping at least a few of the guests will take up the hobby.

I have learned that the best tool you can ever have as a home brewer is patients. Just relax, don't worry and have a home brew. If you did your job right crafting the wort and pitching the yeast, the yeast will work happily and healthily creating a rewarding ale.

I hear we will soon be getting Ruination v. 3.0 soon - the lady at the LBS said it was more "user friendly." Sounds like it will be a downgrade...

:D

More layers of flavor. Smoother. The citrus note is there but it's second to a tropical mix of pineapple and mango. The flavor goes the same way and while the citrus rind bitterness is there it's smoother. Interestingly after 15 mins and the aroma had burned off instant oaky, the 2.0 tastes harsher than the original. It's a worthy replacement IMO.

After a series of unfortunate events yesterday, I saw a burst of bubbles about 5:21AM today. Great cold break on this one. Funny how you can get knowledgeable enough to not worry about the process enough to be comfortable with it. There's where mistakes lurk. I must've spilled a pint or so of wort when the colander slipped into the kettle & the stool slipped out from under me. Too much back pain to sleep any longer. But, at least it's starting to ferment & the color looks to be a reddish-amber so far. So it'll be beer...

I have learned that the best tool you can ever have as a home brewer is patients. Just relax, don't worry and have a home brew. If you did your job right crafting the wort and pitching the yeast, the yeast will work happily and healthily creating a rewarding ale.

That's exactly my advice to people who ask me about homebrewing & what it takes. Patience is always my answer; if you don't have you will not enjoy the experience as much as possible. At least that's my opinion.

I spent the early part of yesterday brewing an IPA with a mix of Columbus, Mosiac, Cascade & Amarillo hops!

Cheers!!!

I love the whole process of home brewing and share that passion with anyone that asks me about my beer they are drinking. So far I have helped several family and friends embark on their own journeys into home brewing...
Share a beer and quench their thirst for the moment... Teach them how to brew and spark a thirst for understanding.

This year marked my 3rd year as a homebrewer and yesterday marked the 15th time that I have tried to arrange a brew day / demo to get people interested in the craft.
Last year Big Brew Day... 2 of us brewed a total of 13 gallons.

Last November / Learn to Homebrew Day... Friend drove 3 hours to come and visit to watch me make an extract batch and then we drove to Hill Farmstead to sample the deliciousness.

Yesterday.... Better success.
AHA Big Brew Day
8 attendees (interested ones at least) 3 supporting wives, 6 supporting children and several passers-by (who were intrigued that we were making beer but less intrigued that the finished product was NOT immediately available)
8.5# of pulled pork
10 split chicken halves
Chili beans
Assorted salads
Brownies

Most of all.... 11 gallons of beer

Tons of leftover food

Sunburns.....

WHAT AN AWESOME DAY!!!!:tank:

Four years in for me. A couple years ago, around tax return time, my wife asked to go into the lhbs with me. Being surprised by this, I said yes. They had a big new batch of Brewer's Best kits, which she started perusing intently. She took quite naturally to brewing. The group that used to cut our grass got to liking having some of my home brews after they finished. A couple were interested in homebrewing, but never came back. So Idk if they ever started or not. But it's been one heck of journey these past four years brewing beer, with generations of wine making & distilling behind me. Nothin' like family traditions!...

Was brewing in my garage one day when neighbor stopped by, after smelling the grains and hops he was enticed to being a home brewer. Three months later, we were sitting on his porch enjoying his first home brew. Enough said.

Went to a ren faire all set to teach the poor folk to brew, yet this wonderful drink had already been discovered.

And was quite disappointed to see, that despite my good intentions, to teach to brew, the fairies would not grant my wish.

Maybe I got confused.

Got a Mr. Beer kit about 5 years ago that came out so bad that I didn't bother trying again, until this Christmas my girlfriend bought me a Brooklyn Beershop 1 gallon all grain kit.

I enjoyed this much more than my first time around... so much so that I went online and ordered an 11G pot, built a MLT with a false bottom from a 10 gallon home depot cooler and there was a lot more money tossed at fermenters, fittings, tubes, ect.

Well that escalated quickly.

Here's a picture of batches 3 and 4 (I consider the 1 gallon #1... the Mr. beer brew is dead to me)

Left is a Pliney the Elder Clone, both on the right are an Arrogant Bastard Clone
View attachment 275451

Last night I described to a group of friends the basics of malting and how the mash process works. This group is always fascinated by brewing but none have made the leap yet. I've been trying to get them to come help with a brewday so they can see how easy it is. Soon I hope.

My approach to home brewing can be compared to the life cycle of humans.

I started out as a home brewing "baby". I started with extract kits, and couldn't be bothered with things like taking gravity readings or taking notes. When asked "what is the alcohol content?" I would respond "Try and guess what it is." Everyone , within reason, was a winner, the prize another home brew. Despite my lack of brewing maturity, I made some good beers, a BJCP judge was surprised one was an extract..

I have now grown into the juvenile stage in my brewing adventure. I primarily brew Partial Mash and take gravity readings. I have started taking notes and paying a lot more attention to fermentation temps. Now when asked about the ABV, I can confidently give the correct answer. My beers have gotten better.

I will grow, as experience progresses, and eventually hit my adult stage in brewing. I have most of the equipment to start all grain, by that time I want my process dialed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back