National Homebrew Day Giveaway!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I advanced brewing by learning if you take one beer that wasn't the best recipe and mix that with another great tasting beer...I was quite happy with my blended beer. Also known as a Black and Tan ;)

My neighbor found out first hand that if you mess up a brew, it is still beer and was well worth the effort.

Besides sanitation in brewing , it's always wise to keep clear concise notes of each brew so you can find out what works great and what doesn't work so great! :drunk:

Added to the sig line.

Soon, my HBT signature will rival Palmer's How to Brew as the definitive guide to homebrewing. You're welcome, newbies. <-my contribution

Me thinks some missed the original post here...;)

Well...........:fro:

Rules and Entry:
- Post to this thread one way you have advanced brewing. Post a pic of you brewing, post a story of you brewing, teach other's to brew, and let us know what you did here in this thread.

Sitting around drinking and talking about beer is a completely acceptable method of entry provided you post that here.

If you do more than one thing, post it. Each method of supporting homebrewing will count as an entry.

I send regular pics of my sours to other brewers who have not jumped into this area yet. Here's an example.

Sour_zps4rv57pks.jpg

I try to educate people on the evils of i&#822;n&#822;f&#822;e&#822;c&#822;t&#822;e&#822;d&#822; sour beers.

I have a mini fridge under my desk at work. It's full of my beer and gets drank several times at week with co workers. I also condition some of my beer at work (small children at home so all beer stuff not in the fridge is relegated to the basement where it is currently 60 F).

Brewed at a beer festival with a local brewery providing a 16bbl mash/lauter tun for teams of home brewers to do a common mash with. Then had all different hops provided by a local hops farm.

By the time we were boiling the festival was in full gear and I got to explain to multitudes of buzzed festival goers the fun of homebrewing, a few of which seemed ready to take the plunge and start themselves.

Our 2.5 year old is an aspiring brewer. He helps pick out what beer we have for dinner and throws a fit if I try to drink a commercial beer rather than my beer. Also he *loves* to watch yeast on the stir plate. When asked what we should get my wife for Mother's day he replied "sour beer".

I help others improve their brewing by sharing knowledge learned from research and experience.

Not only do I try to help share my knowledge (especially through my blog in me signature), I also try to encourage others to brew, as well! On May 2nd, I took a new brewer with me to brew inside a brewery and he had a great time! He took his new equipment and his first 5 gallon extract kit and made an American Stout. We had the full attention of the Head Brewer from the brewery and used the time to pick his brain.

Photo%2BMay%2B02%2C%2B9%2B27%2B12%2BAM.jpg

This was also the day I entered my first competition and came away with First Place! Now I get to brew my recipe on their pilot system to be served on one of their Small Batch Tuesdays!

There are a couple of people that brew here at my company. Last year I setup a homebrew competition through our fun & enjoyable workplace group. This is a group that sets up events monthly for employees to hang out and relax and take a break from work.

For this instance I helped them put together a comp between the employees that homebrew. What we also did was teach 2 new people that had never brewed before. Through the people that brew regularly we got them the equipment and helped them brew the beer. They had a great time and they our now hooked on brewing. Again this year we are setting up another comp and hope to have more people getting involved.

Also, my 2 year old helps me clean and sanitize and loves to smell the airlock on "Daddy's a beer" when I dry hop it.

This is my old set up. When I up-graded my system I handed this down to a friend and then walked him through his first 3 brews.

In the last year I have helped establish a local homebrew club, taught members how to press and make apple cider, worked with a buddy to help 2 aspiring brewers to become actual brewers (one still just pours a can into hot water, but the other has tried to move to all grain), supplied multiple parties with kegs of homebrew, and generally spread the love!

Had a buddy over on Saturday and showed him how to make beer. We brewed a Dry Irish Stout and a Porter. Both all grain, so it was a long brew day/evening.

Thanks for the give away.

Beer is good! Beer is good! Beer is good! That's right! Beer is good! Beer is good!...let's go drink some BEEEEEER! I also learned just a bit ago not to let PBW that you've been soaking bottles in for three weeks not to sit so long. It had a pellicle on top of it. Gotta dump it & clean/sanitize the homer cheapo bucket now. Even in PBW solution, nasties can take hold eventually. This after I dumped the dregs out of any bottles going into it first. Lesson learned.

If I win, I'll fill the growler and tell everyone where I bought it and they will start flying off the shelves.

I recently started a blog and FB page dedicated to chronicling my home brewing experience in the hopes of teaching and luring others over to the dark side with us!! I also keep readers updated on the local beer scene in Memphis. Check it out when you have a moment or 2: http://901brewing.blogspot.com/

This past Saturday, I participated in my first Big Brew (brewing the Killer Kolsch recipe) and talked to several people about my brewing setup and how all grain BIAB works.

It's not much, but I've been able to show people that beer brewed at home can be tasty. I received a lot of comments about just buying beer when I first started, but the opinions changed once they tried my beer. It wasn't the best beer and there is definitely room for improvement. I'm just glad I was able to prove that homebrew is a good option for drinking tasty beer.

I recently upgraded to all-grain and now I have many neighbors that have taken an interest in brewing. Of course they haven't dove into purchasing any equipment, but they are always willing to help me on brew day and of course, on tapping the keg day too! It's amazing how many people have no idea how good beer is really suppose to taste without the steep price tag of many out there. The best trick I've learned in this hobby is to make your wife your best customer!

I totally only just now saw that you can enter more than once. Such a maroon.

Not only do I try to help share my knowledge (especially through my blog in me signature), I also try to encourage others to brew, as well! On May 2nd, I took a new brewer with me to brew inside a brewery and he had a great time! He took his new equipment and his first 5 gallon extract kit and made an American Stout. We had the full attention of the Head Brewer from the brewery and used the time to pick his brain.

This was also the day I entered my first competition and came away with First Place! Now I get to brew my recipe on their pilot system to be served on one of their Small Batch Tuesdays!
Jamie is doing really great things there. I think he is missed over at RBC, but I think he's been able to really excel over there at Draft Line. If only they would brew Big Woods DIPA more frequently.
Congrats on your comp win. When will they tap your beer?

Regularly help new mgr of local homebrew store find new products. Turning into largest/best lhbs in the state.

I brewed a Porter my wife really liked and she is not a "dark beer" fan at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back