National Homebrew Competition 2019

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the same email on the 2nd as well, so that could be the case. I did hear they were a bit short on volunteers, but I would've thought the status would've sat at "Judging" if they were still truly judging entries, yet it changed to "Verifying Results" a day or two after the last judging date. Made me think they were actually done at that point.

Oh well - hoping they post by the end of this weekend!

let me just say that my life got a lot less stressful when I realized the judging was a ****-show and that luck was a big part of it. I would agonize over what to enter, spend hours trying to idiot-proof them, and while mostly successful, there have been so many WTH moments in either the First Round or Finals that I've stopped caring. The best beer I ever made received the lowest score I have ever gotten, 14.5 points, in the First Round, a year after I medalled in the same style. Sometimes the judges are wrong.

Gordon Strong had some amazing results but even he assumed 1/3 of his entries would make the Finals. When I asked him how often the feedback made him roll his eyes, the answer was "99%". And Gordon never had a real entry limit, while the last 6 years it has been either 4 or 5 per year.

I know none of this makes you feel better; sorry your judges weren't better. How was the rest of the scoresheet?

also, when I told Gordon about the American Wild scoresheet, his tongue-in-cheek reply was that the style should have American Wild Hop character - no domesticated hops. :D

I sent the association a tweet just to see if they have an estimate on when more results will be posted. I’ll report back if they tell me anything.

I sent the association a tweet just to see if they have an estimate on when more results will be posted. I’ll report back if they tell me anything.

Any word from them at all? Really hoping that we'll get some news here from the Minneapolis region within the next day or two.

No word yet but hopeful I hear back today. It’s been what, almost 3 weeks since MN?

I think we're technically on day 14 from the day judging was originally supposed to conclude (March 24th), so sitting at two weeks. The other two regions that judged the same weekend were posted a week ago though, so I was hopeful last week that Minneapolis would've been posted by the weekend.

I did read in the homebrewing sub on Reddit that I guess there was a lack of volunteers for the Minneapolis region this year and that judging went into the following week after it was supposed to conclude, so that explains the delay. Like I mentioned above though, I'd have thought the status would've still been at "Judging" if that were the case, but it seemed to switch over to verification pretty quick.

Probably getting antsy for nothing though, but eager to see where I fell so that if by the stroke of luck I did advance, then I'd have some time to brew up a few various batches before sending out to the finals :)

I think we're technically on day 14 from the day judging was originally supposed to conclude (March 24th), so sitting at two weeks. The other two regions that judged the same weekend were posted a week ago though, so I was hopeful last week that Minneapolis would've been posted by the weekend.

I did read in the homebrewing sub on Reddit that I guess there was a lack of volunteers for the Minneapolis region this year and that judging went into the following week after it was supposed to conclude, so that explains the delay. Like I mentioned above though, I'd have thought the status would've still been at "Judging" if that were the case, but it seemed to switch over to verification pretty quick.

Probably getting antsy for nothing though, but eager to see where I fell so that if by the stroke of luck I did advance, then I'd have some time to brew up a few various batches before sending out to the finals :)
The communication from the AHA around this event is always less than ideal. It would be nice if they could give out location specific updates so the contestants wouldn't have to refresh their emails for days on end expecting to see results. Delays happen but it is the not knowing why or when that sucks the most. I remember a few years ago, Nashville dragged on for weeks and no one had any idea on when they would see the results, and it was very frustrating. I guess we should just RDWHAHB.

Last edited:
If you volunteer to judge and/or steward a regional event, you'll not only know if they finished, but you'll sometimes know the winners, too....

Keep in mind that most of this is done by volunteers who have real lives too...

Anyone have any info on Tampa? Judging was this weekend .Wonder if they got it all done?

It's funny... my non-brewer friends are always saying they don't have the patience to brew and wait weeks for a beer, but that's not a problem for me (even bottle conditioning). Waiting on NHC results every year, though, is another story... I can't deal at all.

I guess we get spoiled with our homebrewing community in Cleveland. We received notification that they didn't need anymore judges/stewards and already had more than enough. Good problem to have though looking at the other cities!

A bunch of sites are now posted... I think all of them that have judged actually. My Dortmunder and British Dark Mild made it through in Milwaukee. Glad to sneak a couple in.

Nice to finally see the results for Minneapolis post tonight. Took 3rd in American IPA, which I am stoked about. Here's to brewing a few batches to prep for the finals

Congrats to everyone else who made it as well!

@mwilcox ..... Looks like a fine showing in Denver!

Thank you my friend. Apparently I still can't get GLINTCAP gold medal Ice Cider through, but I shouldn't ever complain about 4/5. I'll be judging in KC this weekend; if you have some there I will listen for your name when it's over. cheers--

Boston has posted places but not scores. I was fine until now- waiting for any news at all - but now that I found out my brew took second in category, I have no patience and really, really, really want my score sheets! First year and one entry. Absolutely twitchy right now.....

Thank you my friend. Apparently I still can't get GLINTCAP gold medal Ice Cider through, but I shouldn't ever complain about 4/5. I'll be judging in KC this weekend; if you have some there I will listen for your name when it's over. cheers--

I was in Milwaukee.... Dortmund and Mild made it through. ( Not sure, but that has to be about the 4th or 5th time for both of those making it to finals now). I was hoping to get a couple others through (who isn't :) Had a Ordinary Bitter, Helles and Czech Dark Lager that did not make it.... be interested to see scores on them and if they were close or not. I had a problem with my capper and had some that were leaking...... I checked the ones I sent pretty well, but, I hope I did not do something stupid like send one (couple) that was capped poorly.

Congrats to those who advanced! Of course of all the regions that judged already, everyone has posted winners EXCEPT Philly which is the one I am in! Same thing happened last year when I was in Chicago one, it took forever to post! Have 5 beers in, though think only 3 have any chance of advancing with only one of those having a great chance (has scored 40+ in other comps).

Boston has posted places but not scores. I was fine until now- waiting for any news at all - but now that I found out my brew took second in category, I have no patience and really, really, really want my score sheets! First year and one entry. Absolutely twitchy right now.....

Mike I thought you were giving up Big Trophy Hunting after your New England cider won it all in 2017? I hope to see you in Providence this year, ill be bringing a keg or two of cider for club night - dont think Ill make GLINTCAP though, new job is not quite as flexible as the old one

Mike I thought you were giving up Big Trophy Hunting after your New England cider won it all in 2017? I hope to see you in Providence this year, ill be bringing a keg or two of cider for club night - dont think Ill make GLINTCAP though, new job is not quite as flexible as the old one

not sure why you thought I was done in '17 when I won MMOTY last year, but whatever - I'm pretty much retired from everything but NHC and that is coming soon. Sorry, no trip to MI or RI this year but I do plan to be in *redacted* next year. ;)

For those wondering, KC and Indy finished on Saturday.

cheers--
--Michael

Come on Philly post! You would think AHA would have had it verified except for the three categories that judged this weekend and could have verified those yesterday! 2nd year in a row I get the region that takes the longest.

Back