National brew day....who's brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwapogorilla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not to steel thunder from another thread. Just wondering who's brewing and what are you doing Saturday?
I'm bringing a buddy over and doing a "show someone how to brew" day as well. Doing an IPA recipe I threw together. Mosiac, caliente, calypso and citra...all in one brew!

I'm brewing a 10 gal batch of nut brown and another 10 gallon batch of Jamil's Oaked Mild. Probably splitting them all up into 5 gallons and using different yeasts in both batches. It's also my Homebrew Club's meeting day. As president, I'm having anyone who wants to learn to come by and help. It will be an all day event with beer, food, and awesome people hanging out in my backyard. Pretty excited since I'm doubling at the fire house today. 7:30 am until 11:30 pm all by myself. Hope everyone else has a great day! Prost!

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

I'm brewing a 10 gal batch of nut brown and another 10 gallon batch of Jamil's Oaked Mild. Probably splitting them all up into 5 gallons and using different yeasts in both batches. It's also my Homebrew Club's meeting day. As president, I'm having anyone who wants to learn to come by and help. It will be an all day event with beer, food, and awesome people hanging out in my backyard. Pretty excited since I'm doubling at the fire house today. 7:30 am until 11:30 pm all by myself. Hope everyone else has a great day! Prost!

Damn! That's a hard to follow national brew day! What is the date for NBD btw?

NM! Just read it in another thread. 5/4/14 (quatro de mayo? Lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Damn! That's a hard to follow national brew day! What is the date for NBD btw?

NM! Just read it in another thread. 5/4/14 (quatro de mayo? Lol)

It's going to be an awesome day. It's tomorrow though by the way.

I work Saturday so I celebrated Monday when I could brew by showing a friend who was interested in brewing my process of biab. I gave him 3lb bag of dme and instruction on how to brew cheap. I'll let the beer bug bite do the rest.

I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch of Ommegang Hennepin Saison with minor tweaks. First time brewing this recipe. Hopefully it works out.
Cheers my fellow home brewers!

doing a double batch day when i get off in 45 min. basically going to mash 2 pale ale mashes and cut one into a half batch to make it into a barleywine. first is a galaxy pale ale and the other is gonna be a barleywine with chinook, amarillo and centennial.

first barleywine attempt so pretty stoked to give it a shot. got a big starter and a new o2 system so all should be well in theory, now brewing two batches at once may be a different story...

I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch of Ommegang Hennepin Saison with minor tweaks. First time brewing this recipe. Hopefully it works out.
Cheers my fellow home brewers!

I did a saison last summer with harvested Hennepin yeast. Tweaking it and doing another version soon.

On topic, I did a blonde earlier in the week since the weekend is full.

Happy Brew Day Brewers! I'm out of town this weekend, but will have to celebrate next week.

I just took the yeast & LME out of the fridge for an ESB (E/SG) to brew today. Got some beers for when I'm done. I'll raise a glass for ya!

In this town there is a national holiday called Derby Day.

So I won't be brewing but consuming large quantities of home brew, wine, and enjoying many friends here for a party.

Pitched the re-hydrated S-04 yeast on my ESB last night. Even with straining,the Whirlflock tablet gave nearly 5L of cold break. Compacted to about 1/2L by this morning. Still at 71.6F & started bubbling during the night. Just gotta clean up this morning,son got off work late. I hate cold,dark parking lots...

I also had a friend over yesterday to show him the basics of homebrewing. We brewed a White IPA from the recipe list. While brewing, we also had 8-9 bottles of various IPAs we were sampling. It was a good day, with the exception of our OG being very low and not sure why....

Funny you mentioned that. My ESB's OG range was to be 1.045-1.049. I got,after testing/stirring twice,an OG of 1.060! The Irish red I did last Sunday was the same. Came out to 1.061. My mash/steep skills must be getting pretty good?...

Did a DIPA in the wee hours last night. Hoping we didn't screw it up when a bung issue arose.

Late to the party but it was a cream ale with Liberty hops - needed something crisp and refreshing for gardening at the end of the month!

:mug:

I spent the day at Simply Home Brew, in Drums, PA (Just outside of Hazelton). The good folks there were brewing up three different kinds of beer using different methods: brew-in-a bag, conventional all-grain, and tri-decoction. I traveled from New York to learn Mike's tri-decoction method for pilsner using under-modified floor malt, and learned a lot from sitting at his knee for the day. Actually, it will probably take a couple of years just to digest it all. I'm going to start using his method this summer when I have some free time away from wife and family.

Simply Home Brew is a great store with everything you could ask for. There is ample space for tons of equipment and supplies, and Pete and the rest of the staff are helpful and accommodating. There was a steady flow of customers and visitors to the shop yesterday, many of whom expressed an interest in learning how to home brew, and walked away with kits and other equipment. Hot dogs and sausages were on the grill as the brewers discussed their beers and offered samples. A reporter and photographer were on hand as there will be an article in today's local paper.

I plan to stop here again as it is conveniently located just 5 minutes off Rt. 80 about an hour from the Delaware Water Gap, and I would pass through this area about 4-5 times a year on my way to visit family. In you're ever in the NE PA and Poconos area you should check them out:

Simply Home Brew
2 Honey Hole Rd, Drums, PA 18222
Phone:(570) 788-2311
www.simplyhomebrew.com

Had a great Big Brew here in Raleigh, NC. Dozens of people showed up, brewed at/in the brewery, made some Nelson Sauvin IPA.

It was great to brew on NHB day again this year. Especially since I haven't brewed in several months till last Sunday with the red ale. Needed a lil tune up before the big day yesterday. One of these days I'd like to go to one of those big brew doin's if they have'em around here?

Back