Nasty old bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave8274

Reaction score
Last night I scored a ton of great AG equipment for a great deal, and included in the stuff I got were a bunch of flip top bottles.

This stuff has been sitting in someone's garage for years, and the bottles weren't cleaned before storage, so there is some nasty stuff caked to the bottom of most of them.

I soaked them in Oxyclean for a while and tried to clean them out with a bottle brush, but there is still some left. Ran them through the dishwasher and still didn't get it all. Right now they are filled with PBW solution and I am going to let them soak in that all afternoon.

Is there anything else I can try to save these bottles?

How long did you leave them soaking in Oxyclean? I find that overnight gets just about everything off glass. Also use hot tap water.

How long did you leave them soaking in Oxyclean? I find that overnight gets just about everything off glass. Also use hot tap water.

Oh, it was only about 30-45 minutes in the Oxyclean. Soaking in the PBW overnight though.

I've had bottles that still had some residual gunk after an overnight with the oxiclean. My rule is to toss 'em. Although I did use one that still had a little ring around where there had been some mold. I bottled and didn't have an issue. Better to be safe than sorry, though.

It always does with PBW for me. I mix 1.5oz PBW in one gallon of hot water. It dissolves easier in hot. Not to mention cleans faster. Overnight has all that hairy crusty nastiness floating out/off them by morning for me. Glad it worked for ya. I don't think there's anything the right strength PBW won't clean.

Back