Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
churchhavel, france...looks realy close...

searched for "downhill airstrips pictures" then added "snow" to the search got this

1656686491521.png

it has the pine trees, the building look right...it's just the mound on the right seems off....

Last edited:
1656691994806.png

honestly this isn't my picture, but JUST the way i remember it....i remember getting a glass of water at the plant at the start from some guy probably laughing at me while my dehydrated bike riding self was oblivious.....(figure for this generic a pic gotta start with a clue!)

No hills that close to Bush Gardens, looks like somewhere San Diego way (South).
i was actually looking for the hills....
Calabassas, CA
no... i just posted a pic of the road i bunny hopped my bike across in personalities thread.....right next to it if that helps...

I was actually thinking it looks a lot like where a buddy of mine lives in Poway, but there are no ponds/lakes/rivers near him.

i adopted a surrogate father that lived in poway and often though if it'd be too long a bike ride over the hills to visit him!

yep, you're up @pvpeacock ...what in the new photo got it for you? or was an amalgamate? my tip that i didn't know i just drank filtered sewar water, or around poway? which was really to far to get over the hills on my bike too, but my child brain didn't comprehend distance on a BMX bike?

P.S. just like squab at the parking lots...i never knew ducks were edible either.

Last edited:
should it be one with a freshness liner, or an old glass bottle?

i'm assuming then you know the answer, and while i moved to nevada or new mexico....the mercury was a bit to low?

I've been near it (Harvard, that is), I spent a few days for work in Cambridge, but stayed near MIT and didn't even get a chance to see that.

This may be too easy. Or... maybe not. We'll see. My picture.

Attachments

• IMG_1780.JPG
    IMG_1780.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Battery Rathbone McIndoe, Fort Berry, Marin County, CA, part of San Francisco Bay defense system of the Endicott era.

That's a ton of detail! Yes it is.
That's because I took a learning journey to get the answer. I started out with a search for "abandoned coast defense gun" and got to Fort Winfield Scott, Battery Chamberlin. It looked much like the posted picture, but not quite right. Wound up learning about Endicott era guns and the batteries around San Francisco Bay. Eventually found a match. Enjoyed the trip, so thank you @tracer bullet.

Here's another gun emplacement. I took this picture in 1967.
1967.png

Clearly the US, and clearly near water. River or bay? Hmm, usually these kinds of things are on the coasts. Age of that gun... pretty old, I want to say before WWII, I feel like they were... fancier. So maybe WWI or before, early 1900's very much like the structure in the picture I posted. Doesn't seem like New Orleans, but then again I've not gotten too far out of the French Quarter there.

I'm guessing... Mobile Bay.

Not Mobile Bay, but U.S. is correct. The gun is older than you suggested. It was taken from a ship that was built in 1893 and put on display at this military post. It was never intended as a defense of the post, the river, or the city.
Here's an older picture that's not mine.

dif pic.png

Last edited:
Back