Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bevo Mill it is. Built, as I understand it, by August Busch to showcase a nice, respectable beer garden restaurant to help fight off prohibition.
You're up @DBhomebrew.

Clue6.jpg

In St Louis, MO, Adolphus Busch built a windmill as a beer hall. The rest seems to be history…

(Edit: not the first time my browser doesn’t seem to refresh till I post an answer and then find out it’s been named already…)

(Post-edit: in this case, it turns out I had refreshed the browser but failed to notice that the thread had just moved into a new page)

Last edited:
Okay, I've looked at this a bit. I think @DBhomebrew has continued the theme by posting a picture of another kind of mill, a water mill.
Those are barn type doors on that building and it goes down a hill in back. The photographer's name would indicate that this is in New England. I don't know why an old mill is yellow, but I thought you could probably Google "old yellow water mill New England" and find it. That didn't work. I also failed with some variations of that with equal lack of success.
I still think it's an old mill in New England. I hope some one can find it, but I need a nap.

There were a lot of things that didn't work, but "restored yellow mill vermont" did. That is Ben's Mill, Barnet, VT. They even made a movie about the restoration project. I gotta ask, @DBhomebrew, how did you bump into that picture?
View attachment 756737

I had a theatre professor who used the movie in a handful of his courses.

Well, I've got to keep this theme going. These aren't my pictures, but I have been there and have a connection to the building. About 200 years ago an ancestor of mine worked in the pictured building. The bridge may be a clue
mill.png

So if I Google "red brick windmill UK" the first choice I get is Green's Windmill

Just as a gentle suggestion, if it falls that quickly to a Google word search, maybe don't post it within 30 minutes, give it a bit more time to stew? Particularly if you've been "winning" a lot here lately? With all due respect, I'd much rather see some newbies joining in, who may be able to contribute photos from different experiences and to stop this board getting too cliquey. And also the fun of this game is not in the "winning" but in the process, it's about either recognising somewhere from a trip long ago, or about working out that the cars drive on the left or that's the logo of a French bank or whatever.

Well, I've got to keep this theme going. These aren't my pictures, but I have been there and have a connection to the building. About 200 years ago an ancestor of mine worked in the pictured building. The bridge may be a clue

Heh, that first pic looks like a million and one mills in the area I grew up, yet I don't recognise it. And that bottom pic looks like it's just caught the back end of a yellow school bus, which makes me think we're in the US not UK? In which case I've no idea - but presumably Victorian mills are going to be East Coast, probably New England? But that's all I've got.

@D.B.Moody has Boston stock going back at least to the late 18th century. I haven't placed it yet, but it's definitely New England. Lawrence, Lowell, etc, etc, etc. Maybe narrow down the river? Merrimack?
Not the Merrimack. My Moody ancestor (William) settled in Newbury, on the Parker River, in the early 17th century. This place is closer to Boston than Newbury.

Last edited:
Boston Manufacturing Company on the Charles River in Waltham, MA

Also known as the Francis Cabot Lowell Mill, Lowell having invented the power loom. Now an apartment building with an address on Moody St.

Yes, and the bridge is the Moody Street Bridge. Paul Moody (great, great, great grand son of William) was the "mechanic" Lowell hired to make things work. He's my most famous Moody ancestor on this side of the pond. (@Northern_Brewer may be able to figure out the famous one on his side .) Paul learned his stuff working in various mills instead of going to school like his older brothers.
You're up @DBhomebrew.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hahaha! I was about to add that you were going tell a story about how your anscester was the one who really invented the power loom and Cabot Lowell just lent his name for all the credit

You've told us of your famous English cousin

Well, Lowell had the money and had seen the English looms. Paul was a guy who started working in mills when he was 12, but, yes, he invented things.

That ancestor was a footman to Henry VIII. Don't know what all he had to carry around. :) Good memory for recalling that story.

DB, I found the picture, but all it said was NY fall foliage. I googled weathered barn in fall colors lane and fence and it eventually showed up. :mug:

1643051046455.png

Wasn't there a song whose title used those words in a slightly different order? What might you find, @cmac62, with those words?
Well, I've waited long enough. When I googled "Autumn in New York" I got that picture labeled "a Long Island autumn in New York, Long Island Business News," and when I clicked on that I got the article that led off with that picture labeled "Old Bethpage Village." So I'll say Old Bethpage Village, on Long Island, New York. It's a restrored place, of course. :)

Last edited:
Well, I've waited long enough. When I googled "Autumn in New York" I got that picture labeled "a Long Island autumn in New York, Long Island Business News," and when I clicked on that I got the article that led off with that picture labeled "Old Bethpage Village." So I'll say Old Bethpage Village, on Long Island, New York. It's a restrored place, of course. :)

You got it, @D.B.Moody. Obscure, I know. Old Bethpage Village Restoration, built around the bicentennial during a rare moment of American interest in American history.

The Powell farmhouse is the only original building, all the others have been moved there from their various original locations across Long Island. I'd venture to say that every person with a Long Island public education has visited the village. My Mom would bring us when we were little just to spend a few hours away from LI suburbia. My eldest sister started working there in 1990. My middle sister and I continued the tradition through the early 00's. Dad picked up from us and works there still.

This little building is the cider mill. Built in the mid-1800s, it still puts out a batch every once in a while. I would sit on its stoop on a slow day and watch the baseball game (1880s rules) down the hill ahead and to the left. You can't do that anymore. The orchard we planted has grown tall enough to block the view.

I know you all have watched Ted Lasso on your Apple TV. Next, check out Dickinson. The first season at least was filmed at the village.

Here's another old building that was moved for display and preservation. There are ties to the windmill I posted a bit back. This picture is from 1966:
1966.png

EDIT: One of the ties is that this cabin is on the same road as Bevo Mill.

Last edited:
This place is great. Young groom builds new house for bride. She doesn't like it. After just a few months, young groom must move in with his in-laws. Ungrateful mumble, mumble.

This place was built smack dab in the middle of OBVR's time period. Your pic was taken right around when the first buildings were being rolled in.

This place is great. Young groom builds new house for bride. She doesn't like it. After just a few months, young groom must move in with his in-laws.
Although I think they moved just after Mrs. Dent died. Anyway, since you didn't actually name it, I'll post some more pictures.
These are from 1967 and show a field that is part of the farm:
1967.png

1967 2.png

The road in the pictures is named for the guy who first built the cabin, and it intersects the road the cabin now faces. The pasture is for some very friendly, very large horses. When we walked around there they would come over to the fence to be petted or get fed some of the tall grass growing on the other side to the fence. The apartment we lived in from 1965-1969 was on the other side of this pasture.

You are correct. Busch bought the cabin after it had been used at the St. Louis World's Fair by a coffee company. (They had moved it from Webster Groves where it had been moved by some real estate developers.) Busch had it erected on his estate property facing Gravois Road just west of the creek that Grant Road runs along. The whole thing became Grant's Farm. White Haven, the plantation house of Grant's in-laws, is east of Grant road and south of the Clydsdale pasture. BTW, as if all of this wasn't BTW, Grant met his wife because he was invited to the plantation by his West point roommate, Frederick Dent. Dent, who had remained in the Army, became Grant's Aide-de-camp in the Civil War after Grant rejoined the Army.
You're up @InspectorJon.

Last edited:
Back