Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fortifications at the entrance look too dark (granite?) for Welsh coast, and generally it feels a bit lush for Wales.

Also the Welsh are not so into the coloured houses thing, which is more a thing in (former?) fishing villages in the West Country.

It's not one of the ones I know on the north coast of Cornwall, but I don't know the West Country that well - somewhere like Brixham?

Fortifications at the entrance look too dark (granite?) for Welsh coast, and generally it feels a bit lush for Wales.

Also the Welsh are not so into the coloured houses thing, which is more a thing in (former?) fishing villages in the West Country.

It's not one of the ones I know on the north coast of Cornwall, but I don't know the West Country that well - somewhere like Brixham?
Kingswear, Devon

@Northern_Brewer was close with Brixham, but @Pils Brosnan has it. It’s Kingswear, Devon.

The connection is “steam railway by a river in UK.” The railway station is behind the marina. Taken December 17, 2021 from the Dartmouth side of the River Dart while we were visiting my parents for Christmas. No brewing for three weeks, but my daughter hadn’t seen my parents for over two years, so it was worth the break!

HAH! Easy.
Let's stay in the same neighbourhood, in a sense. Everything is relative.
This one even has some connection to beer.

Capture.PNG

It's Prague! Took me 15 min to locate this picture : 50.08928669806768, 14.400243815773074

I've been there in 2012 but I wasnt brewing and not a fan of pilsner at that time. Now.. oh man.. I'm mainly brewing pils (bohemian and german) and I would love to go back and visit old breweries.

I have a pils (of sorts) lagering as we speak, and memories of a recent trip to Plzen are fresh. I've posted a picture here. Prague was a much earlier visit. The architecture in the photo was right, but the landscape threw me off a bit. @DarkfangQC did a better job in zeroing in on the spot.

Here you go (there is a giveaway, somewhere):
2017-08-03 20.38.33.jpg

Well, I think it says "Brazil" on the side of that stand. Google tells me that Caipirinha is the national cocktail of Brazil, so unless @Andres Falconer is hitting us with a feint, I'm saying we're in Brazil.

Looks like a touristy place where you might begin an Amazon river cruise, so let's try Macapa.

Not Brazil. Note that it says caïpirinha, not caipirinha. Brazil is also spelled funny.

Macapá is a fascinating place. Not too many tourists make it there.
OK, educate me. What's the significance of "ï" vs "i"?

And I noticed that Brazil is spelled "Brasil," which is the Portuguese spelling, right?

I'll stop there and let someone else have a guess before I venture another.

A big waterjet makes me think immediately of Geneva, and it feels like caïpirinha would be a French spelling?

On the other hand a francophone part of the world would call it Brésil unless they were making a token attempt at authenticity.

Bingo, @Northern_Brewer! Caïpirinha and Brésil are French spelling. And that’s the famous Lake Geneva water fountain in the background. Yes, you can make out SWISS in the sign, the GE_ letters on a boat called Geneve and, if you look closely, you can also make out a Swiss flag on a boat.

This was a high moment on a summer of 2018 work trip to Geneva. It was hot and the Geneva Festival was in full swing. If you squinted, It did feel a bit like Rio se Janeiro.

(Sorry about the decoy)

Heh - I'd not looked closely at any of the posters etc, I just went off the waterspout.

Instead of wandering the dusty wilds of Africa like I've been doing recently, as a change let's go somewhere where there's a nice lawn :
1642711589163.png

Googled "botanic garden dome" and found that picture of the Greater Des Moines Botanic Garden. I'll say Des Moines, Iowa.

Last edited:
Indeed it is Des Moines, which yesterday was celebrating the 40th anniversary of Ozzie Ozbourne biting the head off a bat there, so I thought we might have something vaguely "biological" from there.

@D.B.Moody, you're up.

I was first in Des Moines in 1959 when I drove up to pick up my brother at Drake. I do not remember why I was recruited to do that. We didn't visit botanic gardens while I was there, but that was two decades before they got that place built. I do remember enjoying a few beers while there. I don't remember the brand, but I was 16 and had an age-appropriate unrefined attitude about such things.
Here's a different dome picture. This is from 1990:
1990.png

I’m going out on a limb to claim that this is the old Aviodome aerospace museum in Schiphol Airport, Netherlands, that has since been renamed and relocated as Aviodrome (with an R) in Lelystad airport.

This one was a lucky shot. There seem to be more than a few airplane museums in domes, and this one no longer exists, so the initial image search didn't get me too far. Even my original hometown of Sao Paulo formerly had one in a dome (which is now a very nice auditorium):

1642807225184.png

The Pioneer Air Museum in Fairbanks, Alaska, could have also fit the bill - including the very similar geodesic dome:

1642807242693.png

Then I somehow stumbled across the Aviodrome, read a bit into it and learned that it originally was hosted inside a geodesic dome built by Buckminster Fuller. And I found an image.

1642807364850.png

Not the Netherlands, I think. Wimbledon Windmill Museum.

If you look carefully, you can see Wombles in the grass, right @Northern_Brewer?

Indeed - in fact I met one last time I went to Wimbledon Common. I can't find my photos now but it looked something like this :
1642857449648.png

[I wasn't running, the missus was!]

Shame about the Aviodrome, I got as far as seeing the cloggy flag and had recognised that it was an S-2 Tracker on the left, but it was too tired to go poking around.

So if I Google "red brick windmill UK" the first choice I get is Green's Windmill, which is apparently a restored windmill that is part of a science museum in Nottingham, UK.

It is Green's Mill in Nottingham. Named after George Green, a mathematical physicist. I grew up in Nottingham and they renovated the mill and built the since center when I was a kid. The plasma ball was a big draw. I now teach Green's Theorem to my electrodynamics class.

@D.B.Moody is up.

This isn't my picture, but I like the theme and I've been in this place. Built by a different kind of genius for his own (not so scientific) reasons.
windmill.png

Good guess, but not Solvang, :) I have been in there a number of times over the years. When first married, my brother and his wife lived in this area, which is named for this place. So this is reasonably near to me.

Back