Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is from 1966:
1966 1.JPG

You're right Lincoln wasn't born there, and I didn't even notice you had said that. I just noticed the Lincoln connection. So I edited my previous response. Good WAG.

Springfield it is. Since you are apparently from Syracuse, NY, I wouldn't think you'll qualify as a FIB. And I don't think your answer would be considered a guess.
We visited Springfield after driving over the Mississippi on the bridge at Hannibal. You identified that picture a while back.
You're up @duncan.brown.
BTW: how's the Dinosaur Bar-B-Que doing?

Last edited:
I'm originally from England, via Milwaukee, WI and Pasadena, CA so you can guess where I learned what a FIB is... Dinosaur has fortunately survived the pandemic and is going strong. Once we get to 70% in Onondaga county, I'll be back there for ribs and beer!

I need to stop guessing or travel more, as I'm running out of skylines. Here's one that I don't think I've posted before.

IMG_0678.jpeg

Awesome! A lot of life has happened since I was there in 2013. :)

Here is my picture. Not mine, but one I found on the web.

videoblocks-des-moines-iowa-city-skyline-skyscrapers-aerial-drone_rszzgmejus_thumbnail-1080_01.png

It all feels...rather efficient.

Cattle in sight of office blocks is cute but town isn't twee enough to be in a mainstream touristy area.

The yellowish house between the trees feels rather Alsatian.

General vibe feels like the foothills of the German-speaking side of the Alps - so Zug or Bregenz or one of those kinds of places? I've driven through that area without lingering long in it.

Not in the picture, but the picture was taken next to very twee things. (And, yes, I had to look up what "twee" means.) Not Zug or Bregenz. I don't know those places, so I can't say if it's one of those kinds, but perhaps. Zug is close in distance. Maybe this helps:
1990 2.png

Well covered bridges make me immediately think of Lucerne, although it's not the only place with one.

Not quite twee exactly, not in the way that eg the towns of the Austrian Alps are. Anyway, I *think* I've edited out the giveaways on this photo, but it should be fairly easy to deduce where I was :

1623832754141.png

I think I've got to give that one to RG - it is indeed Hampden Park in Glasgow, Scotland's national stadium and the record-holder for the biggest attendance at a football game in Europe with 150,000 for an England-Scotland match in 1937. Although the biggest stadium in Europe at the time it was built (in fact Glasgow had the three biggest), it was a bit of an oddity in being the home ground of Queen's Park, who currently play in the third level of Scottish football. They sold it to the Scottish FA last year and it's topical as one of the grounds currently hosting the current Euro 2020 (sic) football tournament.

I was a little bit sneaky as it's only ever had an athletics track for the 2014 Commonwealth Games - the above photo is from the closing ceremony, unfortunately I the only pics I had of the whole stadium at the athletics I went to was before most people had taken their seats, and the saltire on the seats is a bit of a giveaway!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampden_Park
@RoyalGallon you're up.

I'll take a stab just from what RoyalGallon said about what wasn't actually posted.
I think it was supposed to be the Royal Windsor Racecourse, Windsor, UK.
Royal Windsor Racecourse.jpeg

Last edited:
Back