Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do like a topical one. Looks like it was taken from the terrace of a building with a controversial name?

I do like a topical one. Looks like it was taken from the terrace of a building with a controversial name?
I read that as "tropical" at first.

I can't vouch for it being controversial or not. It wasn't when I was there in 1998. I was doing a summer exchange program between my university and the local university. There was a lovely little pub down the street called "The Scotsman and His Pack." We'd stroll down between classes for a fried egg sandwich and then after classes for a pint.

I stayed with a local family near the university. Also staying there were a German and a Venezuelan who were studying English as a second language for the summer. I'll never forget the dad of the house trying to explain the rules of cricket to the three of us.

That was a good summer.

Scotchman, not Scotsman - supposedly named after the man who put a wedge or "scotch" behind the wheels of carts to stop them slipping whilst making deliveries on hills like St Stephens.

Anyway, since you've given something for people to Google, I'll stop being so discreet and say that it's the view from Colston Hall in Bristol, towards the tower of St Stephen's church. Named after the slavetrader Edward Colston, whose statue was thrown in the harbour a few weeks ago. There's a lot of things named after him in Bristol and there's been discomfort about it certainly since the 90s if not before - but it's not something that tends to feature heavily in the tourist version of Bristol.

Very topical

Would make a good topical theme for this thread for a while, cities/towns/townships and countries named after highly questionable individuals. Would also double as an education

*DING*DING*DING*

Thanks to @Northern_Brewer for the history lesson, and for the corrections to my memory! I had to look it up to be sure you were right! Do you live in/around Bristol?

scotchmanpack-818715-10.jpg

I still think about those fried egg sandwiches. It seems so simple, but I've never been able to replicate it in my kitchen.

You're up, @Northern_Brewer!

Haven't been able to quite find the photo I'm after, so while it's the first photo that's the interesting place, I'll take the name of the town it's in and so there's a supplementary photo to help you (and give a bit of skyline....) No image-googling! :)

temp.jpg
temp2.jpg

Okay, I don't know where it is but since no one replied so far I'll take a guess anyway... I have a vague recollection of seeing something on TV not too long ago about a place like this. I think it was a memorial place of the slave trade era. However I have no knowledge of where, other than being in Africa somewhere. Somewhere by a slave route... west coast of Africa? I'll just name drop a place, probably far from correct... ivory Coast?

Much warmer...

(think I'll probably give it for the country, otherwise it'll take forever if people don't Google...)

Ok @3 Dawg Night you work your way south and I try west/north.. however not exactly sure what the neighbouring countries are to Nigeria, I think Ivory Coast is pretty close, but that wasn't correct. Ghana is somewhere close too I think? I've always considered myself being fairly good at geography but seems when it comes to it I'm not THAT good :D

@smcinco snatches it!:D

It is indeed Benin, the country just to the west of Nigeria - and if you think any Western country has a screwed up relationship with slavery, it's nothing compared to Benin. The first picture is Place Chacha or Place des enchères (Auctions Square) in Ouidah, where foreign traders would buy slaves captured by warriors of Ghezo, king of Dahomey (now the southern, coastal part of Benin) in attacks on neighbouring tribes. The statue depicts one such warrior, which is kinda weird if you think about it.

It gets weirder as Chacha is the nickname of Francisco Félix de Sousa (1754–1849) , the most important slave trader who helped Ghezo take the throne in a coup against the previous king. His descendants still live in a palace on one side of the square, and still retain much of the power and influence of their ancestor - one descendant briefly headed a military junta in the country, his great-granddaughter was First Lady of Benin until 2016.

Weirder still they still use Chacha as a sort of hereditary title conferred by Ghezo's descendants, the current one is Chacha VIII. He's used his influence to try and rehabilitate his ancestor and make out he was one of the good guys - claiming he was saving the lives of captives who would otherwise be killed, he would even let families buy back their loved ones(!)

@schmurf probably saw something about Ouidah 92 which was a festival organised by UNESCO to promote local culture as a way to heal the sores of the past. One part of that was creating a slightly haphazard set of statues (including the one above) on the route from Place Chacha to the Door of No Return, a monument on the beach to the ~1 million slaves that left Ouidah, mostly for Brazil.

The festival wasn't without controversy, some saw it as a bit of a celebration of de Souza - but just keeping the name Place Chacha is kinda screwed, let alone having his descendants keep their palace next to the old slave market and have a statue celebrating the warriors who made slaves of what would now be fellow Beninese.

1593725958759.png

Nah, nah - all yours! It was tough enough finding a photo for it, but it's such an interesting story (and not well-known in the West) that I allowed myself a cheat for one time.

Damn you @beermanpete , you're too fast! Former workplace, good times! Great rooftop concerts and beers! Was introduced to home-brew by a coworker there many moons ago. :mug:

Last edited:
All that copper on the roof isn't particularly British, it's far more Germanic - and the general vibe is rather German.

Obviously rich enough to support significant new buildings - and either didn't care about what was there before or was badly hit in wartime.

Looks like there's the odd heavy barge in the picture, suggesting it's a port at the outflow of a major river.

Hamburg?

All that copper on the roof isn't particularly British, it's far more Germanic - and the general vibe is rather German.

Obviously rich enough to support significant new buildings - and either didn't care about what was there before or was badly hit in wartime.

Looks like there's the odd heavy barge in the picture, suggesting it's a port at the outflow of a major river.

Hamburg?

Correct!

Back