Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, here's one...

30642782152_ac0664bd8d_z.jpg

I think you're right about it being Hartford. Interestingly though, when I go to Google and type in "New Haven Skyline" I got the exact same pic as Maylar posted:
buena_vista_hartford_skyline.jpg

I have no clue, but it appears that it's written in Cyrillic. Unfortunately it's not clear enough to read to type into Google Translate. :)

Building says ВОКЗАЛ which is cyrillic (russian?) for station, usually train but in this case sure looks like a sea port with the statue of the dude waving into the wind (you wave at boats, not trains), ship statue, the portholes in the architecture, and what looks to be cranes for unloading ships in the background.

I'll say Vladivostok

Vladivostok is too far east; Sochi too far west. Let me know if you need more clues. Don't want anyone getting too frustrated with my choice. Incidentally, I spent a week there and left by way of this building.

Building says ВОКЗАЛ which is cyrillic (russian?) for station, usually train but in this case sure looks like a sea port with the statue of the dude waving into the wind (you wave at boats, not trains), ship statue, the portholes in the architecture, and what looks to be cranes for unloading ships in the background.

I got the same ideas from different clues. Maybe a boat on the pedestal above the guy statue. Wires going diagonal away from building are bridge suspension?

Severobaikalsk on Lake Baikal. What the heck were you doing there?

Nailed it. You're up. Please disclose how you knew.

I spent several summers in Siberia doing research and was fortunate enough to travel throughout the Baikal region. (If I can get another "skyline" correct, I may tease with another Siberian mystery spot. This is fun!)

In case anybody cares, ВОКЗАЛ (sign on that building) is pronounced "voxzal" (yes, the В character in Cyrillic sounds like "v", the З character in Cyrillic sounds like "z", the Л character in cyrillic sounds like "l").

It's no coincidence that there's a train station in London named Vauxhall station.

A train station in Russia is called that because Tsar Nicholas I in the 1800's sent some dudes to London to see how train networks were run, and Vauxhall was a hub which they went through to get anywhere, and the dudes incorrectly assumed that the word meant train-station. So now it's on all the train-stations in Russia.

Nailed it. You're up. Please disclose how you knew.

I spent several summers in Siberia doing research and was fortunate enough to travel throughout the Baikal region. (If I can get another "skyline" correct, I may tease with another Siberian mystery spot. This is fun!)

I looked at the time zone, saw the lake, did a search for train stations on lake baikal, pic popped up of the station (a BBC story of some lady traveling through frozen tundra). New picture coming shortly.

Not siberia.

I took this picture last week while bicycling. Note the shiny city on the horizon. I want to know the name of the facility where I'm standing.

If you guess the shiny city on the horizon, I'll tell you (good job!). If you guess the name of the city I'm standing in, I'll tell you (good job!). But what I want is the name of the facility on which I'm standing (you win!).

I think that's enough clues. Was I biking through Tanzania last week? Probably not :)

place.jpg

Back