Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...extra points if you've seen this movie!

monolith.jpg

Blizzard Mountain (Pioneer range) & Big Cinder Butte, Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho.

Nope.

I had really hoped we were moving away from mountains. Now volcanoes? What is going on here?!?! :hs:

Hey it's a skyline, and one that should be fairly recognizable for anyone who is familiar with the area. It's a fairly popular area due to its proximity to other (far more notable) attractions. The fact that it is a volcano is just lagniappe. Besides, I'm running out of non-obvious photos. Want me to post a pic of the Vegas strip next time?

Anyways, here's a big clue:

Of all the "states with volcanoes" that were named by either TooDogly or myself in posts #1828 & #1829, this one was not named. I believe it's the only other state with volcanoes not in that list.

Along with what I mentioned above, this should really narrow it down.

Good job Minky! Have you been there before? I was a little surprised when the first guess was so close. We vacation in that area every year and it is tradition to go for a sunset and then jumping down the steep parts of the dune.

You're up!

No, I haven't been there, but I searched for "kite flying dunes" and stumbled upon the Kitty Hawk Kites website. They apparently sponsor the Rogallo Kite Festival. I initially thought it took place in Kitty Hawk, but checked the site again and found it was Nag's Head.

sb.jpg

Well I don't have a self-taken photo of this so I had to grab one off the web. No cheating, this will definitely turn up if you reverse search it!

untitled.PNG

Alexandria, VA

The George Washington Masonic National Memorial on the right

(edit: ****... don't even know my own hometown)

You got it. Tallest Capitol in the country. You're up.

So this deserves some backstory.

My dad was visiting yesterday and I wanted to get his help with this photo since I was getting nowhere with it. When i first looked at it, Maryland popped into my head but I couldn't match it up with any cities there. I noticed the bridge in the background so I knew it had to be crossing a fairly large river, and the ground is very flat. My dad was suggesting the Mississippi River, maybe Nachez, but again it didn't match up with any tall buildings. I said it looked like a capitol building and Art Deco style, but we both agreed that nobody would build a skyscraper as a capitol, it's just not very practical. So we were discussing for about 20 minutes when my wife finally had enough and asked what the hell we were talking about. I showed her the photo and explained that our guesses were based on the tall building which appeared to be made of granite, the very flat terrain, and the deciduous trees. A minute later she showed me her phone and said "is this it?" I said how the heck did you find it that fast! She said "I googled 'tall white building flat ground deciduous trees' and it was there in a blog post about trees." I guess the moral of the story is: ask your wife for advice.

I also could have gone against my assumption that nobody would build a skyscraper for a capitol and googled "tall capitol" because that gets you this as the first hit. Aparently Huey Long did things his own way.

Back