Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1668287512673.jpeg

Guessing Iceland, just not sure where. Just saw massive waterfalls like this in the opening scene if Last Kingdom Season 5.

Iguassu Falls are absolutely majestic and worth a visit. I was there twice - in my childhood in the seventies, and for work in 2001. Here's my submission. It may be obvious. Or maybe not. But that was a clue.

1668504406097.png

Itaipu Dam it is. Sorry if the “clue” was cryptic for those not familiar with the region: the dam is just a few miles away from the Iguaçu falls in the previous submission. Itaipu is a shared enterprise between Brazil and Paraguay. Prior to the construction of Three Gorges in China, it was the world’s largest hydro dam and is an impressive sight, especially when the floodgates are open. They also hold special light shows at night.

Itaipu Dam it is. Sorry if the “clue” was cryptic for those not familiar with the region: the dam is just a few miles away from the Iguaçu falls in the previous submission. Itaipu is a shared enterprise between Brazil and Paraguay. Prior to the construction of Three Gorges in China, it was the world’s largest hydro dam and is an impressive sight, especially when the floodgates are open. They also hold special light shows at night.
I will have a new photo up tomorrow. I’ve been traveling and fighting a cold!

Looks like the squarish one on the horizon on the left is the Naranjo de Bulnes, which I think means the pointy ones right of centre are the Torre Cerredo/Labrouche/Pico de los Cabrones complex?

I like the idea of some mountains, so here's one that's topical for some of us :
1669219497704.png

Could be part of the Brooks range in the Yukon. But i think these may be older. The tops are not jaaged enough.

Could be part of the Brooks range in the Yukon. But i think these may be older. The tops are not jaaged enough.
The Yukon is the coldest so far.

[and Wikipedia reckons the Brooks are older as it happens]

is it scotland or ireland? i notice the grassy terrain...

there's more mountains in your neck of the prairy then i thought! but there can be only one! i'll find it! lol (if i'm not cold too that is)

Last edited:
is it scotland or ireland? i notice the grassy terrain...

there's more mountains in your neck of the prairy then i thought! but there can be only one! i'll find it! lol (if i'm not cold too that is)
Nope, still very cold, albeit less cold than the previous answers. You're right to notice that it's not permafrost, this is what it looks like in "winter".

As it happens, anywhere in Scotland would fail the "younger than the Brooks" test, all the mountains are old (and actually part of the same chain as Norway and the Appalachians, they were pushed up before the Atlantic opened). Scotland was covered in ice during the Ice Age, so most of the erosion was done by glaciers which tend to be more rounded than the gullies in my photo.

Also, the Scots would not think the actual answer to be topical.

Back