Quantcast

Name That Skyline - Picture Game

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

3 Dawg Night

Life is too short to drink crappy beer.
Lifetime Supporter HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@3 Dawg Night ding ding! You're up.

I went with @bruce_the_loon's suggestion, although it's the window of a friend's light aircraft.
Man, that was a complete wild guess!

I'm away from my computer for a few hours, but I'll give it some thought and post the next skyline tonight.

schmurf

Reaction score
I have no idea, trying to figure out what the blue sign on the building close to the wing says, but no luck.

edit.... seems like my browser didn't reload the page properly so I missed it was solved.

3 Dawg Night

Life is too short to drink crappy beer.
Lifetime Supporter HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Untersberg Mastif?
Close enough. That picture was taken from the Kehlsteinhaus (Hitler's "Eagle's Nest" summer retreat), near Berchtesgaden. I think you can see the Untersberg massif from there, but I don't know if it's the one in the picture. It was an absolutely gorgeous view, though.

You're up, @CKuhns!

CKuhns

Everything learned in Kindergarten still applies!
Reaction score
Staying with the mountain theme.

2017-7228.jpg

bruce_the_loon

Reaction score
That's San Michele island in Venice, recognized it from a vampires versus witches series a year or so ago. A Discovery of Witches was the name of the show and they had a United Nations of Monsters on the island.

Northern_Brewer

British - apparently some US company stole my name
Reaction score
Portofino - although it looks like only the cheap yachts were in town that day, it can't have been during the season....

Northern_Brewer

Reaction score
Here we go, needed a bit of editing to remove some clues.
temp.png

Northern_Brewer

Reaction score
It is indeed the Bass New Brewery in Burton, the 1864 extension across the road from the main site (behind the photographer) - it's got rather more of the original buildings left than the main site. The former Bass tap, the legendary Coopers Tavern that would be in many people's Top 5 British Pubs, is just out of sight on the right of this photo, across the street from the main entrance to this site. The current owners Coors stopped brewing there at the end of 2017 and during lockdown officially announced that they'd be selling the site for redevelopment, they've been doing a lot of juggling round lately sending some of the big tanks from Burton up to Tadcaster so I don't know how many are left. I believe they're around 100,000 US gallons each if anyone is looking for an upgrade....

It's a very British thing to insist that they can't knock down the old Victorian buildings, but it's OK to take the roofs off and put tanks in them! But having grown up not a million miles from Burton, that kind of Victorian red brick definitely feels like home, a lot of public buildings like council buildings, schools and libraries were built in similar style.

@duncan.brown is up!

duncan.brown

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up in Nottingham and visited the Bass brewery in the early 90's on a school field trip. I recall seeing tons of spent yeast flowing into a skip and asking the guide where it was going. "Marmite!"

OK, here's a city I (used to) travel to regularly.

j1nnuovbrhk21.jpg

Kharnynb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
germany or netherlands from the signs and buildings, can't place the church tower and fachwerkhaus is just too common all over northern europe

Northern_Brewer

Reaction score
I grew up in Nottingham and visited the Bass brewery in the early 90's on a school field trip.
I went to the wrong school! A rope factory was as exciting as ours ever got.

Your pic feels familiar - and certainly looks German.

All that wood looks "new" in an old style, so somewhere that did not avoid the attention of the RAF in WWII? That doesn't cut it down much...

Somewhere like Magdeburg?

CKuhns

Reaction score
The clock tower / steeple in the background is it the Market Church in Hannover, Germany?
- Thought it looked familiar from a trip taken as a chaperone with a bunch of high school kids in 2004 - (Looked it up on Wikipedia and pretty sure that's it.)

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The clock tower / steeple in the background is it the Market Church in Hannover, Germany?
- Thought it looked familiar from a trip taken as a chaperone with a bunch of high school kids in 2004 - (Looked it up on Wikipedia and pretty sure that's it.)
I believe I found a shot from the same place as posted.
In a search for the Market Church in Hannover.

duncan.brown

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@CKuhns has got it, it's a view down Kramerstraße from Holzmarkt taken towards the Marktkirche. You're up.

All that wood looks "new" in an old style, so somewhere that did not avoid the attention of the RAF in WWII?
Indeed. A trip to Hannover was my first visit to Germany. I recall thinking that the mix of old buildings and 50s and 60s architecture looked strangely familiar... It's a greatly underrated city to visit. I always have a lot of fun there.

CKuhns

Reaction score
Here's one I have visited for work more than I care to admit.
d5.jpg

CKuhns

Reaction score
Time for a hint...

This city was home to one of the most celebrated Tejano music artists of all-time.