Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While we are waiting... How much google-fu is permitted in the game these days? Google image and other image searching is out by the original rules. I figured out Jingdezhen by searching hints... Is this permitted? I can't imagine too many on here have visited the more obscure places people put out for the game.

While we are waiting... How much google-fu is permitted in the game these days? Google image and other image searching is out by the original rules. I figured out Jingdezhen by searching hints... Is this permitted? I can't imagine too many on here have visited the more obscure places people put out for the game.

After it was pointed out that someone should have change the filename, I did a google search and it found the exact picture, I said I found it that way and that I cheated. I was still put up for the next skyline. I put up a picture without checking. Guess what? Google found it instantly. For the China one Google did not find anything for me.

See replies 5191 - 5195. Where I confirmed that I cheated.
I don't know what should or should not be allowed but if I find something in a Google or other search I am not even going to say that I found it.

Is looking at a map allowed? I did that quite a bit with this past one in China.

Is looking at a map allowed? I did that quite a bit with this past one in China.

From what I understand, yes, looking at a map is ok. I think the original rules were targeted to avoid google image search or similar searches. Can't tell you how many hours I looked at google earth to track down a location.

Oh. I often search for building names for the more obscure pictures, especially if it’s been up for a few days.

But I try to post fairly recognisable skylines.

I feel that research is OK; meaning the use of maps and image searches for place names or landmarks is OK. Using the Google image file search tool is what seems to be considered cheating. Having said that, I have "cheated" a couple of times but only after a week or so of everyone being stumped on a tough picture.

Sorry to hold up the show but I thought I was wrong. Anyway here is one I took a few months ago.
IMG_0717.JPG

Last edited:
As for the Jingdezhen guess.. I've been to China a few times but narrowed it down by asking a friend in Singapore who is from China. Hopefully that isn't considered cheating.
IMG_2630.JPG

Gotta love the 10 year Chinese visas. Getting a new one every year was a pain.

I should have done the 10 year last time I went to Shenzhen. Vietnam is killing me. They also have a full-page sticker but the most I can do is 90 days at a time. That country will be responsibility for me getting a new passport well before it’s expired. I think I have one page left.

Care to share passport stamp photos? That could be fun.

I was one of the first participants on the thread since the beginning but I've been absent from this thread for a couple months due to life. I'm discouraged to hear all the chatter about (new) rules.

From what I'm putting together here, unless you've been to a specific location and recognize it, you aren't going to identify it. When someone posts a picture of a field somewhere in Asia or a mountain somewhere west of the Mississippi and you aren't supposed to look up any hints or clues, this is going to be tricky.

Originally the biggest no-no on the thread was, don't right click a picture and select "Search Google for Image". Other than that, various clues were given and people used whatever resources to solve the picture. Any building signage, license plates, landmarks - I say look them up. Otherwise if you've never been there...you won't know the place.

If we're going to ban all types of internet searches...we may as well only post skylines of cities with an identifiable skyline and a populations over 100,000 people. In which case, the thread has pretty much covered every city.

I was one of the first participants on the thread since the beginning but I've been absent from this thread for a couple months due to life. I'm discouraged to hear all the chatter about (new) rules.

From what I'm putting together here, unless you've been to a specific location and recognize it, you aren't going to identify it. When someone posts a picture of a field somewhere in Asia or a mountain somewhere west of the Mississippi and you aren't supposed to look up any hints or clues, this is going to be tricky.

Originally the biggest no-no on the thread was, don't right click a picture and select "Search Google for Image". Other than that, various clues were given and people used whatever resources to solve the picture. Any building signage, license plates, landmarks - I say look them up. Otherwise if you've never been there...you won't know the place.

If we're going to ban all types of internet searches...we may as well only post skylines of cities with an identifiable skyline and a populations over 100,000 people. In which case, the thread has pretty much covered every city.
My next post will be a road in the middle of fricking nowhere BFE from GeoGuesser, World Game. No hints allowed. Wife says this is why I dont have friends..[emoji39]

I think we worked it out that the rule was no image searching. The one of Salzburg I got a few weeks ago I guessed at and confirmed with Google Earth. From my perspective there’s a difference between confirming an educated guess and letting the robots do all the work.

Kinda reminds me of DCA (Reagan National Airport)’s B/C terminal departure terminal, but not with that flyover in the front.

Latest posts

Back