N00b from West Chester, PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capn_Bill

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This forum has been great as I prepared for my first batch this past weekend. I learned a ton from the forum, and also from the brewing experience itself.

I wrote it about it in my blog, just for fun. http://capnbillslog.blogspot.com

There are a bunch of lessons learned and things I'd do differently next time:

-Sanitize using a large bucket instead of the laundry sink so I don't have to keep running downstairs to re-santize. Plus I don't have to worry about re-attaching the washing machine drain pipe and flooding the basement again :eek:
-Have a spray bottle of Starsan handy.
-Snow is an insulator... so that's why it took so long to cool the wort. Setting the pot outside in 10F temps doesn't work well either. There's a thermodynamics lesson in there somewhere.
-Remove the pot from the heat when pouring in the LME. A little burned to the bottom of the pot the first go around.
-Get a separate sampling container for the hydrometer. I like Revvy's turkey baster method.

Besides that, I'm already looking forward to my next batch! :mug:

Hello from Philly!

This forum is an endless resource of knowledge, you'll love it more and more as you progress through brewing!

Hello West Chester from Springfield Montco PA. I love visiting your area. Will be there in a couple weeks for some relaxation.

Hey Capn bill, welcome to the craziness.
From the looks of it, you guys could have a West Chester brewclub all to yourselves....

Latest posts

Back