MyTC Wireless Temperature Controller - Kickstarter Campaign!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOCOSMART

Reaction score
Hi all,

We recently launched a Kickstarter campaign for our MyTC Wireless Temperature Controller. You can monitor temperature and control up to 4 refrigerators (or even 4 cooling units + 4 heaters) - each with a separate temperature profile. Its a really cool system! The MyTC temperature cube is portable, so you can take it with you anywhere to monitor temperature.

We are currently developing the app and are making a "brew" page so that all of your brew data is stored in one, single location that links all of your temperature profiles from the mash to the boil to the fermentation. Access all of this with our web portal and share with friends.

Please post any suggestions about the app as we will make the app to exactly what people want.

Check out our video and support us on Kickstarter!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1708522375/mytc-wireless-temperature-controller-beer-brewing

Cheers,

-Costa

We have evaluated many aspects of what needs to be done in order to bring this product to market and without reaching our financial goal, it would be highly difficult for anyone to bring a product like this to market. I am highly skeptical for anyone saying they can do this for less.

(1) Our WiFi sockets and the ACER HD tablet already have FCC, ETL or CE, but the wireless cube requires certifications prior to sales in US. ~8-10k for FCC cert alone.
(2) Since we are supplying an HD tablet pre-installed with the MyTC app, our price point is higher, but we decided to go with an ACER HD tablet instead of some cheap, non-branded Asian tablet (I have evaluated both, and ACER wins on touch screen, visual display and battery life).
(3) Our initial orders (~250-500 units) pricing will be high for components, the enclosure, PCB and app development.

Some people may think the $55k is a high price point, but realize fees associated from Kickstarter (+payment transfer) is about 8-10%, meaning we will take in around $50k to get this done. Subtract off certification testing, initial component orders, app development... $50k is rather low. Some members of the team are developing the app and we are able to keep our initial costs down.

With support from the community, we can bring this project to life. Back us and we won't let you down.

-Costa

Hey all, we have a new "brewers screen" for our app (work in progress). Post up some replies on what you think.

You can add multiple types of yeast, hops and grain/extract information. Yeast and hops will be calculated for you. Add your gravity data to automatically plot over time.

All of this data will be linked with your mash temperature profiles, boil temperature profiles, fermentation temperature and fridge control profiles.

You can use our online web portal to further analyze your data sets.

BrewersScreen.jpg

view

It looks an awful lot like the inkbird wireless bluetooth grill / smoker thermometer setup I have along with the wireless outlets I have and use for my under counter lights in my kitchen. Curious why the screenshot shows Celsius if this will only be available in the US? Is this already being or been kickstarted overseas too? Theres already a "MyTC" app in existence in the us for travel so the name would have to change... I see someone joined the same day as you just to like your post...

Oh and I dont doubt it cant be done, in fact it already is being done. I know you can do this using bluetooth and wireless arduino components and brucontrol. Its not as simple and compact however it can also control your whole brewery. and it can use tilt bluetooth hydrometers to control temp and fermentation based off ramping profile scripts an owner writes.

I do also think the kickstarter is a bit much if you already designed a working prototype, it shouldnt cost that much to have them made in china from existing componentes like shown in the pictures. Just my opinion though.. good luck.

EDIT it appears you dont have to have anything made as you just have to take the existing grill thermometer and blue tooth outlets and have the same software work with them... 55k to be able to write an app? really?

https://www.amazon.com/Astrodot-Hou...ocphy=9005508&hvtargid=pla-427079861697&psc=1

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback augiedoggy.

Sure, there are many ways people could make this a DIY project, but we are offering a fully developed, compact system so the user does not need to know how to write computer programs/scripts. With the MyTC, you plug it in and it works over your WiFi.

We do have a prototype made and it works great, I have been using it for 2 months on my beer fridge. It's not so simple that you just buy components and everything works flawlessly. We have spent many weeks getting rid of communication issues and analyzing data.

The money would be used to finalize our PCB design, make the enclosure, purchase temperature probes and finalize the app development. Also, we need to get FCC testing completed (~$8-10k) on the MyTC cube. All of the above costs money and in the end, the margin is very low to nothing until we can purchase about ~1000 units of each component at a time.

So just to clarify, that $55k is not only for app development (in any event, app dev. can easily cost >$50k...), that money will go towards finalizing the entire system.

I actually like the idea. Sounds to me like the thermometer probe could be inside a keezer or kegerator without having a cord ran out. At least that's how it looks. But with a full tablet not sure the cost would be where need to be to compete. Why couldn't you use your own smartphone?

Hi zeptrey,

The MyTC cube can be placed inside the keezer or kegerator as long as it is not metal. Mine has a plastic door and the MyTC cube works great while being inside. If you want the MyTC Cube outside the fridge, the temp probe cords are long enough to run it through the back drain.

The reason it is on a HD tablet is because of the app. The app controls the refrigerator(s) based on the temperature profiles, saves all the data and communicates with the MyTC Wireless cube.

We provide the tablet that is guaranteed to work with our app. Moreover, the tablet needs to be near the MyTC cube in order to work. Also, if someone upgrades the firmware on their phone, it is known that apps have major compatibility issues (e.g. my friend had the Williams Sonoma cooking temp app + wireless temp probe device.. after he upgraded his phone it won't work anymore).

Thanks for the feedback.

Back