Mysterious Death of Leaves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanmio

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I planted a cascade rhizome about a month ago in a big barrel with some high quality potting soil and some compost. I've seen terrific growth and development until about a week and a half ago when the lower leaves began wilting and turning yellow. The plant has achieved a height of nearly 4 feet.

Since then, several leaves have curled up and died and are now brown and hanging on for dear life. I have been checking the soil with a moisture/pH meter and have kept the moisture level at a 6 (medium) and the pH is around 7. They have been getting as much light as possible in the daytime and I have pampered them with some grow lights in the morning and dusk hours, achieving about 16 hours of light daily. I really expected them to be doing great, but for some reason the leaves are still dying.

Today the plant got much worse and now 6 leaves have either died or are near death. I have no clue what's happening, but I was first thinking potassium deficiency and now I'm leaning towards it being too hot. Today was about 75 and sunny and the soil was on the dryer side. I've attached photos of the casualties.

I have several questions for anyone with a bit of experience.

1. Should I cut off the dying leaves?
2. Should I try giving it more potassium? I already gave it a very diluted sip of some potash to no avail.
3. Should I let the plant have more dark time?
4. Is 75 degrees F too hot for a 3 foot tall plant and should I start putting the plant outside at night to give it more cool time?
5. Can anybody help me!??!

Thanks!

-Ryan

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

it looks it might be sun scorch. I had hop plants last year burn when transplanted outside and looked very similar. If you're growing indoors irregularities in the glass may intensify the suns rays especially if the plants are in close proximity. Are you moving the plant outside eventually?

Might be overwatering. How often, especially if they are inside? 75 is not to hot either, hops love the sun and heat, just need to monitor the soil in summer when it gets real hot.

It's been a long time, like 25+ years, since since I studied plant physiology - but I would wonder about nutrient deficiency if the plants are well watered.
Iron, manganese and maybe even calcium can lead to new leaves being pale, curling and drying IIRC.

Add a little Miracle Gro for now to see if they come back. If they do, a little soil remediation is going to be required. Good garden compost and maybe some bloodmeal.

Also, big lesson I've learned is to be cruel - keep pinching back the new growth in the spring. Then only allow about three bines per plant to grow once it's late enough. I think they prune back until mid MAY(!) at the farms in Yakima. I know it seems like you're going to lose production, but you actually get better cone yield if you hold the bines back until later in the season and restrict all the growth into just a few bines. If you don't they basically put all of their energy into growing up and you'll end up with really long bines and only a few cones.

Chris

Thanks for all the replies!

Yes, the plants will be moved outside permanently in about a week. I have been putting them outside at 8am or so for the past couple days and I take them inside at night. I plan on continuing that for a while, and I will stop using the grow lights in case that is causing sun scorch.

As for the nutrient deficiencies, I gave them a diluted drink of Miracle grow about two weeks ago and the potting soil is a miracle grow product with fertilizer already in it. There is no potassium in either, so I compensated with a bit of potash. I doubt it is a deficiency, but could possibly be over-fertilizing?

I doubt it is overwatering since I have been ensuring the soil is on the dry side, but maybe under watering?

Hope this helps! Thanks again!

Grow lights? Maybe to much light. Short day plants need only 12 hours of light. Long day plants 14 hours of light. I'm not sure, but hops may be a long day plant.

Looks like sun scorch. If these are inside started plants you need to start full sun exposure slowly. a n hour a day for a few days, then 2 hours for a few days, and so-on and so forth till you reach a full days worth of sun.

Looks like sun scorch.

Oops. I missed that they were started indoors. Yes, that could be a big part of it as well.

I wouldn't mess with your length of day by lighting them. Your not going to get a crop this year regardless. Cutting back the new growth a bit will help build stronger bines and roots.

Chris

Back