My winter ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strickbrew

The new ginger brewer
Reaction score
This was my first attempt at a winter ale. The recipe called for it to 26SRM so color is there it’s 5 days into conditioning and flavor is dull to me. Will longer time in conditioning boost that flavor. I used cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, vanilla, and orange peel in the last min of boil.

Attachments

• B47D74F0-8798-4470-BF9A-8DC9E20FB02F.jpeg
    B47D74F0-8798-4470-BF9A-8DC9E20FB02F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
it’s 5 days into conditioning and flavor is dull to me. Will longer time in conditioning boost that flavor. I used cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, vanilla, and orange peel in the last min of boil.
I love the color.
Five days is a short time for complex flavors; you may just need time.
I will note that I once brewed a porter that that a vanilla tea added to half the batch. The result was muted flavor for the part that got the vanilla. Not what I expected, but that's why we experiment.

Yeah I’m impressed with the color. At first I wasn’t because on the top it looked a little thin and watery but since bottling it’s looking better. I got the recipe from Brewing with Briess blog so I’m hoping it’s gunna pop after another week

Your beer looks like it didn't have a lot of time in the fermenter and you have carried over a lot of trub.

Rule of thumb: Beer needs 3 weeks in the bottle to condition before drinking. That give it time to properly carbonate and aids foam formation and stability and for any trub carried over and stirred up by the yeast carbonating the beer to have time to settle out again.

My rule of thumb, darker beers need more than 3 weeks of conditioning. My porters get 3 months, a strong stout might get 6 months or more. I think you are rushing this beer. Once the beer is conditioned it probably should be drunk fairly quickly. My spiced winter ale lost the spice flavor before I drank the last of it.

What was the gravity of the beer? Bigger beers usually take longer but 5 days in bottles isn't a very long time. 3 weeks at 70 degrees, then a few days in the fridge, should do the trick if the priming was done correctly.

What was the gravity of the beer? Bigger beers usually take longer but 5 days in bottles isn't a very long time. 3 weeks at 70 degrees, then a few days in the fridge, should do the trick if the priming was done correctly.
FG was 1.010 OG was 1.048

Your beer looks like it didn't have a lot of time in the fermenter and you have carried over a lot of trub.

Rule of thumb: Beer needs 3 weeks in the bottle to condition before drinking. That give it time to properly carbonate and aids foam formation and stability and for any trub carried over and stirred up by the yeast carbonating the beer to have time to settle out again.

My rule of thumb, darker beers need more than 3 weeks of conditioning. My porters get 3 months, a strong stout might get 6 months or more. I think you are rushing this beer. Once the beer is conditioned it probably should be drunk fairly quickly. My spiced winter ale lost the spice flavor before I drank the last of it.
Trub There isn’t much in there if any honestly. I used a screen to prevent that.

FG was 1.010 OG was 1.048
Ok, so not a big beer. 3 weeks at 70 degrees is the rule of thumb. I have a 1.030 something beer that was good after 2 weeks in the bottle but im sure it'll be even better after 3 or 4. You're restarting fermentation in the bottle so it takes some time for everything to mellow out again.
I also like to put them in the fridge for a couple days so the carbonation can dilute into the beer.

Ok, so not a big beer. 3 weeks at 70 degrees is the rule of thumb. I have a 1.030 something beer that was good after 2 weeks in the bottle but im sure it'll be even better after 3 or 4. You're restarting fermentation in the bottle so it takes some time for everything to mellow out again.
I also like to put them in the fridge for a couple days so the carbonation can dilute into the beer.
I’ll check back in a couple weeks

Back