My Weekend Keggle Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tofuguy

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this, and the DIY forum felt a little over the top since this is a simple weekend project with no real novelty. So I picked up a keg off the For Sale forum for $40. I cut the top off with an angle grinder (no jig) and sanded the edges for safety. I then did a quick rough polish job to get off the grime using a gator pad. Then I drilled a 7/8 inch hole and installed a bulkhead, ball valve and a side pickup dip tube from bargain fittings. I finished it off with a high temp spray painted skull and a lid from IKEA. Total cost slightly over $100.

Let me know what you think.

View attachment 1493256310267.jpg

View attachment 1493256370232.jpg

View attachment 1493256470346.jpg

Great work on the cut - especially with no jig!

Thank you. I took my time slowly scoring the steel with the angle grinder until it cut through. I would say it took 5-10 minutes. During that time I used two cutting wheels to make it easier to maintain the radius. I rested the guard against the handle the whole time to control the radius also. Patience was key, and a grinding wheel to clean up any mistakes 😀

Nice job, what type of grinding wheels did you use? I'm just about to create a new keggle and the wheel I have seems a bit thick (1/4")?

Nice job, what type of grinding wheels did you use? I'm just about to create a new keggle and the wheel I have seems a bit thick (1/4")?

Here are the wheels I used.

White is a grinding wheel I used for cleaning up the sharp edges after the cut was complete.

Yellow is the cutting wheel I used. This is a cutting wheel, not a grinding wheel. This thing is thin.

View attachment 1493760296702.jpg

I wasn't sure where to put this, and the DIY forum felt a little over the top since this is a simple weekend project with no real novelty. So I picked up a keg off the For Sale forum for $40. I cut the top off with an angle grinder (no jig) and sanded the edges for safety. I then did a quick rough polish job to get off the grime using a gator pad. Then I drilled a 7/8 inch hole and installed a bulkhead, ball valve and a side pickup dip tube from bargain fittings. I finished it off with a high temp spray painted skull and a lid from IKEA. Total cost slightly over $100.

Let me know what you think.
Very creative and cool!

Found those wheels at Lowe's, made the cuts tonight. Drilling and assembling the plumbing tomorrow... Thanks for the inspiration!

I have a keg waiting for this treatment myself. Are we supposed to drill holes in the bottom ring, before putting it over heat?

Nice work. I like the graphics touch.
Your suggestions for cutting the top off a keg are spot-on.
I used a jig in the center bung because I wanted to cut a slightly smaller opening, but the outer rim will serve the same purpose.

Back