My very first home brew!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robobgs

Reaction score
My very first home brew batch has just finished conditioning!! Yes, an American cream ale extract kit but definitely 1 batch closer to the big leagues!! Crawl, walk, run my friends!

image.jpg

Hey guys! First, thank you! The recipe is a Brewer's Best American cream ale kit. The kit consisted of 1 can of Munton's extra light LME, 2.0 lbs of Pilsen DME, 2 oz. Willamette hops (1oz @ boil and 1 oz at 10 min), 1 lb of dextrose, and 1 pkg of Nottingham.

Brewday took way longer than it should have but I'm that guy that double checks his dotted i's and crossed t's. Began at 10am. and finished around 3ish. Since it was my very first batch, I made sure I read the instructions until I could recite them by heart and double and triple checked everything before starting. Sanitizing was ok. Followed the directions with the generic sanitizer that came with my equipment kit. Used what I think is a 7 gal. aluminum tamale pot for the boil. Right at boil, flamed out and added the LME and bittering hops. At 45 min, added the 2lbs of DME and dextrose. At 10 min added the aroma hops. Used the iced water sink method to cool wort. Took OG hydrometer reading which was 1.032, but I'm not entirely sure what it was since I took the reading from inside the fermenter and it was difficult to see but used the hydrometer calculator on Beersmith and got a reading of 1.040. Pitched yeast. I still think I pitched the yeast too warm.

Tried beer 1 week into conditioning. Flat, still sweet.

1 week, 3 days into conditioning. Slight carbonation, that butterscotch flavor you read about.

2 weeks into conditioning (today). Pretty damn good!!! No butterscotch flavor, nice carbonation, and pretty clear for not using any clearing agent. Can't wait for week 3!!!!! First home brew I ever tried tasted like vinegar and gave me my first impression of home brew which wasn't positive. After tasting mine today, holy sweet baby Jesus!!!! The day I taste an all grain brew will probably be beergasmic.

Awesome and congratulations!

Yeah, you made me thirsty too!

To the beer fridge!

Back