My version of Rogue's chocolate stout...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiggs_casey

Reaction score
If you google the recipe, you can see what I changed.

Instead of using chocolate extract, because I couldn't find it at the grocery store, I added 8oz's of Hershey's Cocoa powder (unsweetened) at the last 10 minutes of my boil. Well, I didn't just add it, I mixed it in with four cups of water at 175 degress, then added it to my boil.

I'm kinda curious as to what I should expect... :) I read somewhere that someone had added 4oz. to the boil and 4oz. to the secondary. Not knowing what baddies might be in with the cocoa, I didn't feel comfortable with holding any back for the secondary.

Has anybody else tried this? Waiting through the next few months is going to be tough... :cross:

I'ved used that same hersheys in with a stout I made, and I also had some starbucks espresso in with it I added. It is one of my favorite beers I've made.

Well, this turned out interesting! The first two weeks in bottles and there was ZERO carbonation. Now, after a month or so in the bottle the carbonation issue worked itself out. Interesting flavor profile at the moment though! Beans... :)

What is the flavor like?

I'm going to be brewing a Rogue Chocolate Stout clone soon. Actually, I'm going to brew the Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout and then split it into 2 secondaries and add cocoa to one of them.

What was your original recipe?

Here's what I'm using:

10 lb 2 Row Pale Malt
1/2 lb Chocolate Malt
1/2 lb Flaked Oats
1/2 lb Crystal 120L
1/2 lb Black Roasted Barley

1 oz Cascade at 90
1 oz Cascade at 60
1 oz Cascade at 15
1 oz Cascade at 5

I might back off on the hops though, that schedule at 7.5% AA in my current hops equals about 70 IBUs which I think is too much. I might just do a 60 minute boil as well.

Overall, this turned out pretty well! The odd 'bean-earthy' flavor has subsided. I am going to have to do this again soon as this batch won't last much longer... ;) Maybe see what improvements I can make. I think the hops slightly bitter and it needs to be 'sweetened' up a bit. Still nonetheless, it's pretty good!

I'll post the entire recipe tomorrow in a couple of days. I've been imbibing on this all afternoon and notes are 'less than clear'. :)

I did a chocolate stout on Jan. 1. I got some chocolate extract from LD carlson or somebody like that. I just added 2oz(half bottle) to the secondary. I tasted it a month or so ago. It was good but it's still sitting there, unbottled. I emailed the guy that owns bison brewing company and he sent me a powerpoint on brewing with chocolate. Lots of great info. He is the master.

I did a chocolate stout on Jan. 1. I got some chocolate extract from LD carlson or somebody like that. I just added 2oz(half bottle) to the secondary. I tasted it a month or so ago. It was good but it's still sitting there, unbottled. I emailed the guy that owns bison brewing company and he sent me a powerpoint on brewing with chocolate. Lots of great info. He is the master.

I'm getting ready to rack my stout into secondary and add the cocoa sometime this week. Mind sharing that powerpoint?

BTW, where are you from in Southern Indiana? I grew up in New Albany, parents live in Louisville now.

Latest posts

Back