Chocolate for breakfast stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHBT

Reaction score
What do you all think for adding chocolate to a stout? Im torn between adding real chocolate ,melting it and adding 5 mins left in boil, i also have some hershey cocoa powder too so thinking i should add that instead cause it has less fat and wont kill the head retention as much idk

I've kept my imperial chocolate stout continuously on tap for years. It's always been a hit, even with folks that aren't beer drinkers.
Here are the basics for five gallons:

16 lb 2 row pale malt (I prefer Golden Promise)
1 lb flaked barley
1 lb chocolate malt
1/4 lb black barley malt
1/4 lb black patent malt (could combine both black malts into either one really)
1/4 lb roasted barley
1/2 lb crystal/caramel malt 40-60L
1/2 lb caramalt
1/4 lb Gambrinus Honey Malt

2 oz Chinook pellets, 60 minutes
2 oz Cascade pellets, 15-20 minutes
2 lb honey, end of boil (TURN OFF THE BURNER BEFORE STIRRING IN!)
1/2 lb low fat cocoa powder, end of boil
Fermentis S04, 2 packs
1/2 lb cacao nibs and a scraped and smushed vanilla bean, soaked in dark rum for a week, then add the whole thing at secondary
1 oz pure chocolate extract, add at kegging

I have been mashing this at 148°F to get the FG down in the mid-upper 20s.
Serve on nitro if possible!

Cheers!

I've kept my imperial chocolate stout continuously on tap for years. It's always been a hit, even with folks that aren't beer drinkers.

1 lb flaked barley
1 lb chocolate malt
1/4 lb black barley malt
1/4 lb black patent malt (could combine both black malts into either one really)
1/4 lb roasted barley
1/2 lb caramalt

Fermentis S04, 2 packs
1/2 lb cacao nibs and a scraped and smushed vanilla bean, soaked in dark rum for a week, then add the whole thing at secondary

Cheers!
Nice looking recipe! Today im doing a much more basic stout recipe but definitely like to try that another brew

I have done similar to the recipe above, except that I added the cocao powder to the mash instead of the end of the boil. However I did not use chocolate extract.

I've also done similar recipe to daytrppr, with unsweetened cocoa powder near end of boil and nibs in secondary. Comes out nice. I haven't tried adding honey or choc extract, but I may have to change things up and try that, sounds good.

1 lb flaked barley
1 lb chocolate malt
1/4 lb black barley malt
1/4 lb roasted barley
1/2 lb caramalt

Fermentis S04, 2 packs

Cheers!
What is your OG with this recipe?

The recipe aims for 1.107 OG and I rarely miss by more than a point if at all. FG typically comes in at 1.025-1.028...

Cheers!
so awesome, yesterday i did a much smaller one only 1080 and opted for small amount of cocoa powder 25 grams 5 mins left in boil just want chocolate notes not too much probably not gonna add anything else and tweak on future batches. your recipe looks really good i gotta try that, very complex flavors i bet

Last edited:
Am I the only one that read that “chocolate stout for breakfast” or is that just wishful thinking?
Wishful thinking but i like the way you think 😉 you have a beautiful mind

1 lb flaked barley
1 lb chocolate malt
1/4 lb black barley malt
1/4 lb roasted barley
1/2 lb caramalt

Fermentis S04, 2 packs

Cheers!
I see you add 2 lbs of honey at the end of the boil. What does that do for the finished product? Thanks!

Basically raises the OG - and lets me add "Honey" to its name :p
In fact the honey malt contributes far more "honey" character...

Cheers!

Basically raises the OG - and lets me add "Honey" to its name :p
In fact the honey malt contributes far more "honey" character...

Cheers!
OK, hoping that would be your answer based on my research of using honey in a recipe.
So if looking for more "sweetness" in the recipe (and not higher gravity), just up the honey malt percentage and forget the pure honey.

Yes, that would be my conclusion as well.
Actual honey provides an ephemeral quality that typically very nearly vanishes when added to the kettle...

Cheers!

According to Beersmith3:

OG: 1.107
IBU: 82
SRM: 49
ABV at an actual FG of 1.025: 11.3%

2 oz Chinook pellets, 60 minutes: 57.9 IBUs
2 oz Cascade pellets, 20 minutes 23.8 IBUs (or 19.5 IBUs at 15 minutes)

Cheers!

I have made Day trppr's recipe . My first ever 10% beer it has been very good. For me the chocolate was pretty noticeable. My previous recipies done just with Nibs have been to subtle of a chocolate flavor

Back