My Stirplate... Cheap and Easy Build...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK does the vortex need to go to the bottom for this to be a success? I mean will I still make good starters out of this by having the vortex go 3/4 of the way down ?

Absolutely! You don't even need it to go that far down. We are trying to keep the yeast in suspension so they keep eating and building a happy population. If you are getting some "foam" on top of your starter and your bar is still spinning, you are all set!

Absolutely! You don't even need it to go that far down. We are trying to keep the yeast in suspension so they keep eating and building a happy population. If you are getting some "foam" on top of your starter and your bar is still spinning, you are all set!

Thanks for this build lots of good foam on top of my starter this morning!

Ok last post here and I'm bumping this for justice! Pitched my yeast starter and BOOM ***** took off in 4 hours. Thank you Obi-Wan!

Here's another Stir Plate I just made last night. This one is POWERFULL! Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
question I have a 12volt power supply, I have 12 volt fan I just tested by trying to power the fan directly from the power supply and got nothing, is this normal? I used my volt meter and was getting 10.6 volts out of the power supply. I do have that 25 ohm 3 watt Rheostat (aka Potentiometer): Part number 271-265 - $3.99 from radio shack but haven't tried it with it wired up that way. I am assuming my current needs to be passing through it.

I built my stir plate this weekend and it was a success. However, I did get frustrated with the wiring because previously posted wiring instructions did not work for me, so I drew a wiring diagram for others who may find it useful. The colors of the wires all match up correctly. You only need to provide a spare wire that is depicted in green, or cut the yellow ground wire from your fan and use that.

wiring3.jpg

I hope someone finds this diagram useful and it wasn't a bunch of wasted time.

OMG thank you way easy to read this diagram it should be on the first post.

-=Jason=-

Do you have to use the magnets that have been mentioned?

Is there a way I could use some chunks of my old speaker magnets?

I also have some rattlesnake egg magnets (not sure what they are really called), they are pretty strong and not too big.

All of my fans are 12 volt 0.18 amps I have tried a 9 volt and 12 power supply and they don't spin. What gives?

-= Jason=-

Edit: I just got it working using a cpu fan. I'll be on the look out for a beefy case fan though with three wires.it seems the there two wire fans I tried failed.

Second edit: I think I keep killing the fans. my successful set up is no longer working. possible to kill the fans? did i ruin my 25ohm turn dial thingy not sure...

All of my fans are 12 volt 0.18 amps I have tried a 9 volt and 12 power supply and they don't spin. What gives?

-= Jason=-
polarity?, try switching the wires.

Do you have an LED in the circuit like some of the diagrams have? If so, remember that an LED will only pass electricity one direction so try reversing that.

no led just a switch I robbed of a computer power supply. also when I first touch the power supply to the fan it moves but doesn't spin. I guess I should just cut the end of the power supply off and deal with bar wires instead of the fancy little female adapter I bought from radio shack that the adapter plugs into.

-=Jason=-

I got my stir plate built yesterday. My computer fan is 12 VDC and only .1 Amp. Is this the same amp fan most people are using? There is a lot of talk about the voltage but not much discussion on the amperage of the fans everyone is using. It will pull a small vortex down but not all the way to the bottom of the container. Right now I only have 1L of water in a flower vase so I'm concerned that when I get 2L into a flask it won't have enough power to get a sufficient whirlpool going. Another question...is it necessary to have a big vortex going or is keeping the yeast suspended what you are looking for. I am going to the LHBS when they open to get a 2L flask. Last question..does the shape of the flask help with the vortex or just it just look cool.
On a side note...I found another fan in a box of electronics I had laying around that is 120 VAC. I know that one would kick some butt and all I would have to do is change the toggle switch, power cord and rheostat. I had the other one completely built and then found the 120 VAC motor....I would rather not have to rebuild but could if my 12 VDC if just not getting it done. Thanks

ok I trip to the local good will got me all setup.

found a 18V JBL power supply price 2.99 and found a working 12V computer fan for $1.99. I tested both in the store and they were working.

got it soldered up and and it works.

I figure I fried the fans shorting them out by reversing the flow of current or touching wires together.

11300001.jpg

I scored these magnets from ACE Hardware for $4.50 for six
Item number F they are Super Magnet Discs - .472" dia. x .118" thk.
http://www.magnetsource.com/Consumer Pages/SuperMagsCRFT.html

super strong I figure I can use two on each side of my 2-1/2 circle disk I cut out of MDF and countersink them so they sit flush.

Total cost for my stir plate:
parts from radio shack
rheostat 2.99
female power supply adapter 2.99
good will parts
power supply 2.99
fan 1.99
from Ace Hardware
Magnets 4.50

total thus far: $15.46

I am going to Habitat for humanity so see how much they want for this little metal box I have been eyeing up every thing would fit perfect in it.

not sure how the metal lid would affect how it works. I could aways cut it away and use a piece of plexy glass or some thing.

-=Jason=-

I ended up using industrial velcro for my magnet instead of glue...also, tried a 12V power supply and a 3" fan but it was way too much and kept throwing the stir bar(even with the adjustable knob)...I ended up buying a 6v power supply from Radio Shack (they still have a couple of the older model they are selling for approx $1.50) and it works great. Also, I would suggest using nuts instead of the 3/4" riser so that you can fine tune the height of the magnet (I found with my setup that if it was too far away from the stir bar it would throw it on even the lowest setting). It looks and works great...thx for the instructions. :rockin:

Ended up making one today out of a tiny cigar box. Thank you so much merlin for posting a wiring diagram. I decided to mount the fan through the bottom so that I didn't have to deal with screws on my flasks. I added sticky non skid feet to keep the screws from scuffing the counters. :ban: Took me a better part of the day to piece it all together and buy all the parts. Very fun and easy project though.

Click pics to enlarge

This is a 2k ML flask. The plate is actually a perfect fit for the flask and very classy looking :p. I was able to fit the switch, rheostat(on the other side), bolts (3"), 2.5" spacers, and 120mm fan. Muhahaha. Ordered a real stir bar-this small magnet isn't cutting it.

Parts list:

Cigar box from smoke shop- $1
25 ohm 3 watt Rheostat $3.99
Rocker Switch $3.99
Knob $2.99
Sticky non skid pads- $1.29
Fan (got hasty and didn't shop around) $9.99
4 Rare earth magnets- $2.99
Phone charger- free
4x 3" 10-32 bolts- $1.80
12x 1"x.5" spacers- $3.81
It's about the same price as the stir plates going on Ebay but it was fun nonetheless.

Your flask appears to be a male. Get a female flask to match and you could breed them. IMO, it works best to stack the pairs of magnets rather than have them positioned side by side as in the pic, however, if it works as is then there would be no need to do it differently. Stacking them, in effect, doubles the magnetic pull.

Your flask appears to be a male. Get a female flask to match and you could breed them.

Lol good eyes. I got that one and a normal Erlenmeyer as a lot on Ebay. Haven't decided how I am going to seal it when I make a starter though. :mug: Maybe I'll rig it to be a sweet overflow do-hickey.

Lol good eyes. I got that one and a normal Erlenmeyer as a lot on Ebay. Haven't decided how I am going to seal it when I make a starter though. :mug: Maybe I'll rig it to be a sweet overflow do-hickey.

You can buy small plastic/rubber caps at any auto parts store that will work for this. They use them to cap off various ports on engine manifolds, vacuum lines etc. They are available in a wide range of sizes. You should not need an overflow. Use foam control and the foaming will be minimal so long as the starter does not get too warm. I fill my 2 liter flask all the way to the where the neck begins with no problem.

here is how I have mine wired up incase anyone needs alittle help with the wiring.

I used the power switch from a computer power supply so mine doesn't light up

dxQig.jpg

-=Jason=-

So I made this yesterday and it seemed to work well until I tried it in my flask. I used all the same components as listed in the original post except that I used a 9v power supply. I am using a 1L flask and it only creates about a 1 inch vortex on max power. I swapped out the 9v thinking it wasn't strong enough for some reason and added a 12v. The 12v seems like it makes a big difference and would bring that vortex down, but it's throwing the stir bar after about 2 seconds, even on the lowest power. I have adjusted the fan/magnet as close to the top as possible and it still throws it. I adjust it any higher and the fan wont spin because its pressing against the surface. Any suggestions here? I'm tempted to go back to the 9v but obviously that's not working.

You don't need a vortex for this. You just need to keep the yeast in suspension. The 9v power supply will work for this. On one of mine I'm using a 5v power supply with a 1 liter flask. It has little to no vortex and makes lots of good yeast.

So I made this yesterday and it seemed to work well until I tried it in my flask. I used all the same components as listed in the original post except that I used a 9v power supply. I am using a 1L flask and it only creates about a 1 inch vortex on max power. I swapped out the 9v thinking it wasn't strong enough for some reason and added a 12v. The 12v seems like it makes a big difference and would bring that vortex down, but it's throwing the stir bar after about 2 seconds, even on the lowest power. I have adjusted the fan/magnet as close to the top as possible and it still throws it. I adjust it any higher and the fan wont spin because its pressing against the surface. Any suggestions here? I'm tempted to go back to the 9v but obviously that's not working.

You don't need a vortex for this. You just need to keep the yeast in suspension. The 9v power supply will work for this. On one of mine I'm using a 5v power supply with a 1 liter flask. It has little to no vortex and makes lots of good yeast.

I noticed in other peoples that it goes far down and when it reaches the stirplate it kicks up bubbles. I thought that's what I was shooting for? So even if it only goes down only 1 inch and is about 5 inches from the stirplate that will still work?

I noticed in other peoples that it goes far down and when it reaches the stirplate it kicks up bubbles. I thought that's what I was shooting for? So even if it only goes down only 1 inch and is about 5 inches from the stirplate that will still work?

Yes...the objective is to move the yeast to the "food". I have had no problems with getting activity within a few hours due to no HUGE vortex. By just disturbing the surface of the liquid you should get enough oxygen transfer to support ludicrous propagation of yeaties :D

Yes...the objective is to move the yeast to the "food". I have had no problems with getting activity within a few hours due to no HUGE vortex. By just disturbing the surface of the liquid you should get enough oxygen transfer to support ludicrous propagation of yeaties :D

I wish I didn't cut my old power supply...no I have to rewire it again! I added a power connector that the 12v supply came with so I'll just have to wire the 12v connector to the 9v supply. As long as it works I'm happy, although the big vortex would make me happier.

Has anyone had any luck using a 1 gallon growler on this stir plate? If so, what size of stir bar are you using?

I wish I didn't cut my old power supply...no I have to rewire it again! I added a power connector that the 12v supply came with so I'll just have to wire the 12v connector to the 9v supply. As long as it works I'm happy, although the big vortex would make me happier.

You may also want to play with the magnet location a little too, if your throwing the stir bar it could be because it's not centered quite right.

I fill my 2 liter flask all the way to the where the neck begins with no problem.

:confused:

you know it's best not to fill your flask to more than about 3/4 of its listed volume, right? with it that full your surface area to volume ratio is very small and you likely aren't getting as much oxygen to your yeast as they could use

you know it's best not to fill your flask to more than about 3/4 of its listed volume, right? with it that full your surface area to volume ratio is very small and you likely aren't getting as much oxygen to your yeast as they could use

Naah...IMO, the continuous stirring takes care of that issue. Wort is exposed to the surface and exchanged very rapidly. I am convinced that the yeast get all of the oxygen they need regardless of the fill level so long as the wort is stirred continuously.

+1. That's all you need.

The only problem with filling up the flask more than 3/4 full is a lot of krausen coming out from under the aluminium foil cover onto the counter top, and having your wife tell you that your beer stuff is making a mess on the counter.

The only problem with filling up the flask more than 3/4 full is a lot of krausen coming out from under the aluminium foil cover onto the counter top, and having your wife tell you that your beer stuff is making a mess on the counter.

Foam control takes care of that problem very well for me. I took care of the wife problem years ago.

I ended up getting the 12v to work. I just added a second magnet that I stacked onto the original one. I can now crank it all the way up if I want and it still works. Now I get a good vortex too (just for looks)

Finally got mine working. I had to put a resistor on it because my 12 volt power supply was throwing the bar. I still can't turn it up all the way, but I think i'm getting enough of a stir going on. I'll post a couple of pics to see what you guys think.

5414620346_4686bfbaf0_b.jpg

5414620284_59fcfce2d0_b.jpg

so the photo is the biggest vortex you get?

I guess all you need is to keep things moving, but your vortex is pretty small.

-=jason=-

Latest posts

Back