my starter overfloweth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamacheetah

Reaction score
hey everyone-
I have been doing yeast starters for about a year now. I use a 2000ml flask on a homemade stirplate. The problem is that with some of my more active strains, the high krausen starts bubbling over the top. I went to pitch this morning and i found about a vials worth of good yeast on the stirplate that had taken a ride on the krausen. I would like All of the yeast from the starter to make it to the beer.
I thought about doing a blowoff tube into a sterilized secondary container that could capture the yeast. But maybe Im overthinking it.

Have any of you Had similar issues? how did you deal with it?

hey everyone-
I have been doing yeast starters for about a year now. I use a 2000ml flask on a homemade stirplate. The problem is that with some of my more active strains, the high krausen starts bubbling over the top. I went to pitch this morning and i found about a vials worth of good yeast on the stirplate that had taken a ride on the krausen. I would like All of the yeast from the starter to make it to the beer.
I thought about doing a blowoff tube into a sterilized secondary container that could capture the yeast. But maybe Im overthinking it.

Have any of you Had similar issues? how did you deal with it?

You are overthinking it. Let the overflow go. Pitch the rest.

I woke up to the same thing this morning with a Wyeast 2565 starter. I cleaned it up, and put a drop of 5 Star Defoamer in it, then started it up again. About 30 minutes later it was about to go over again, so more Defoamer. It has been going for the last 4-5 hours without an issue.

Latest posts

Back