My shot at yeast washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This procedure worked great. Tipping the carboy on the side is a nice trick. Got perfect washing of my Pacman yeast. Thanks for posting.

nostalgia - awesome post. I like the idea of the carboy on the side, make sense to me. It should make it a whole lot easier to drain off the good yeasty stuff.

I attempted to wash yeast from my last batch, but figured since I was just going to pitch it into the next beer, i could cut back on the water and just dumped in enough for a couple of mason jars. Big mistake, the yeast and trub never seemed to separate, and I ended up with this (after pumping the trub out of the carboy with the autosiphon). I pitched it, and the beer took off after 12 hours, but it was certainly not ideal.

Next time, I'll use more water. Only I could mess up something this idiotproof, but I'm posting this so you can learn from my fail. :)

002.JPG

Nice. I loved doing yeast washing. Saves money, sustains supplies, and it's just dang neat. I like the carboy on it's side idea too. I have been straining it into a thinner sanitized Tupperware pretty nicely. I have also direct pitched without a starter successfully a few times now.

Hmmm i already pressure cook stews,pate,tomatoes, and other veggies.. why not Wort :)
So would this sterile media be used for the starters?
Don't worry - before too long, you'll be pressure canning wort for sterile media and slanting strains. Welcome to the world of yeast ranching, cowboy. :D

Yes or if you can enough high OG wort you could delute it and make beer!

Can you say, "Wort concentrate."? I knew that you could.:cool:

Have a question on temperature. I keep my fermenter cabinet 65-68 degrees all the time. Would that be cold enough to store the yeast/wash?

Have a question on temperature. I keep my fermenter cabinet 65-68 degrees all the time. Would that be cold enough to store the yeast/wash?

Holy thread necro batman!

I wouldn't store washed yeast for an extended period of time at 65-68. That is within the fermentation temperature range for many yeasts.

Store in a refrigerator between 33-40 degrees if you are't going to use it within a week. You can likely store it up to a year or maybe longer. If the yeast starts going the color of peanut butter it's no longer viable.

Latest posts

Back