My S-33 experience - smoked porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacon488

Reaction score
It seems pretty hard to find great information about S-33, so I will add my experience to the forum in case someone else is wondering about this strain like I was. (Is it Belgian? Is it the Edme strain? How does it behave?)

I used S-33 in a 5 gallon batch of partial mash smoked porter, OG 1.058. Fermentation was at an ambient temperature in the upper 50s to around 60, and yeast metabolism added 10-12 degrees to that so the yeast were living in the 70ish range.

S-33 took it down to 1.007* in about four days, and left a pretty clean-tasting beer. Low esters that are appropriate for a porter, no diacetyl, nothing unusual about it all.

It's only day 5 since I pitched, so I will try to remember to post an update down the road. But so far I'm pretty pleased with this strain, at least under the specific conditions I mentioned above.

* Using MoreBeer's refractometer Excel spreadsheet, which I haven't used before. My hydrometer is being borrowed at the moment. I'm suspicious about the low FG though.

Back