My Recipes for Sunday, July 31st Double Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry41h

Reaction score
On the 31st, my brew buddy and I are going to go for our second double brew day. Thanks to the gracious-ness of Hoppus_Poppatopolis who gave away a free old fridge for me to use as a fermentation fridge, I will have absolute control over my ferm temps for the first time. Im pretty excited and here are the recipes:

Draconian Libations': Alpine Frost (American Pale Ale)

OG:1.050
FG: 1.011
IBU: 39
BU/GU: .771
SRM: 6.8
ABV: 5.1%

45.9% American 2-Row
45.9% Maris Otter
2.7% Crystal 20
2.7% Crystal 40
2.7% Golden Naked Oats

0.45 Oz Simcoe - 60 Mins
0.70 Oz Ahtanum - 10 Mins
0.70 Oz Palisade - 10 Mins
0.45 Oz Northern Brewer - 10 Mins
0.35 Oz Simcoe - 5 Mins
0.70 Oz Ahtanum - 2 Mins
0.70 Oz Palisade - 2 Mins

1.00 Oz Ahtanum Dry-Hop
1.00 Oz Palisade Dry-Hop
0.50 Oz Simcoe Dry-Hop

Wyeast American Ale I

Draconian Libations': Summit's Brown (American Brown Ale)

OG:1.060
FG:1.013
IBU:47
BU/GU:.795
SRM:27
ABV:6.1

40.2% Maris Otter
40.2% Golden Promise
6.4% Crystal 60
6.4% Crystal 77
4.2% Chocolate
2.6% Special Roast

0.90 Oz Northern Brewer - 60 Mins
0.35 Oz Amarillo - 15 Mins
0.35 Oz Centennial - 15 Mins
0.35 Oz Northern Brewer - 15 Mins
1.00 Oz Amarillo - 2 Mins
1.00 Oz Centennial - 2 Mins
1.00 Oz Northern Brewer - 2 Mins

Wyeast 1335 British Ale

It should be another fun day. I need to keep my "beer flow" going as Im running low on my Patersbier and my American Wheat. My Brett Saison, is down into the 1.020's now and fermenting a bit more vigorously so Im hoping to be under 1.010 in the next 2 weeks and my stash will be in good shape. Feel free to critique my recipe, I always want the advice of people skilled in certain styles.

Correction: the Brown Ale was fermented with WLP013. I'm glad I did, it's a very nice yeast and it compliments the chocolate malt very well. This beer tastes very nice and I'm excited to get it bottled.

Now that both beers are properly aged: some notes:

Summits Brown:

Very good beer. Seemed a bit roasty when super fresh which made me consider dropping a few ounces of Choc malt; however, some time in the bottle and the roasty flavors meld into the crystal malts and a flavor more like actual chocolate takes it's place. It's a really good recipe. There is plenty of hop character in there too and the balance of malt and hops is spot on.

Alpine Frost:

This beer is fantastic. Turned out more "English" than I thought it would (in malt character) but using Maris Otter, I should have known. It's walking the line between an English Bitter and an American APA. Very nice beer with the strong suit of having a very nice balance with an earthy and somewhat floral hop character.

[email protected]

Back