My quest for a truly unique recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvmy40

Reaction score
This turned into a rambling description of my first all grain brew, but it really is a recipe related question.

I have become obsessed with the idea of a Wild Rice and Buckwheat recipe.
I started out by adding a pound of wild rice and a pound of 30l crystal to a LME American Wheat package recipe. The result was good while not being what I expected.

I was hoping for a nutty overtone from the wild rice. What I wound up with was a fruity trend to a dunkel weizen. I still have hopes for the wild rice/buckwheat combination.

I decided to try for a lighter, crisper base ale to work from. This was also my first all grain brew.
8lb 2 row pilsner
2lb wheat
1lb Munich Malt
1oz Saaz 60min
1tsp Irish moss 15min
1oz Saaz 5min
Safale US 05

I batch sparged in 48qt rectangular cooler tun. 13 qt mash in @ 170 deg F. 5qt mash out @ 180 deg F. I got 3.5 gal wort and sparged with 3.5 gal for a 7 gal boil. I measured 1.042 OG, short of the 1.052 projected by Beer Smith.

After 6 days in primary I measured 1.006 I waited one more day to rack to secondary with gelatin fining. I agitated the carboy a bit too much setting up to rack to keg 4 days later. I was too impatient to wait any longer so I kegged it anyway. 4 days @ 40 deg F. under 16psi CO2 and it cleared up quite well. It is just a bit over carbonated. (my first keg was so carbed up that it took me a week to get it to a pourable level)

The flavor is light but not as crisp as I would like. A bit under hopped to stand alone but very drinkable.

I will be going with the same base recipe of grains with the following changes:
2lb wild rice added
1 lb buckwheat added.
sub 2oz Cascade 60 min
sub 2oz Williamette 5 min

My question (finally) is what yeast to go with? I am thinking about a lagering yeast. Or would you stay with the American Ale? Any suggestions?

I am, obviously, new to home brewing in general and a complete newborn to all grain. Any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated.

Back