My PID is acting up, how can I tell if PID or SSR issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdude76

Reaction score
I have three of these Auberins PID's
About 1 year and no issues with any of them.https://www.auberinc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=106
https://www.auberinc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=106

The last few brew sessions, the one I use most started to act up.
I have an element on/off light.
In auto/temp control mode the light might flicker, but never on/off. Amp gauge is showing the element is working.
In manual mode it mode it would be on/off as expected.

Yesterday manual mode light did not work, but auto/temp control did.

And also yesterday and today, the PID would just kill the element.
I was manual at 90% for some time, look over and it shows 0% with element off.

I am thinking it is the PID, but not sure if the SSR could cause these issues also?

The PID won't see any fault conditions on the SSR, so if you are seeing odd behavior on the PID display, then it is a problem with the PID or temp sensor.

Brew on :mug:

Just for kicks check the screw tightness on them I have had wires come loose 2x and chased rabbits for hours both times.

I agree with Doug, but if there is any doubt and if you have 3 of these PIDs, swap out the suspect unit with one of the other working ones and see if the symptom follows the PID.

Last edited:
I'm no expert but isn't the SSR just a switch? Continuous power or no power to element would be an SSR issue Can't see how an SSR would effect buttons lighting up on a PID

FWIW I had an Aubrins PID that stopped working correctly after a year. So I used it around 12 times. I called Aubrins and they basically said tough luck. I thought that was crappy. I bought a MYPIN for half the price and it functions perfectly. Even fits in the same size hole in the controller.

I don't get what the hype is on the forum about Aubrins...I'll never by another one of there products

Latest posts

Back