My New/First Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

Okay, so I got a bit carried away... but boy was this fun!
DS1 copy.jpg
DS2.jpg
DS3.jpg
DS5.jpg
DS8.jpg
DS9.jpg
DS10.jpg
DS11.jpg
DS12.jpg

You did not leave a lot of space on the side for ventilation I assume you cut out the finish over the vent to allow it to breathe, we cant see that side of your unit finished and I would hate to see you put all that work into it to have it overheat and fail. The hang tags for the beer labels is pretty smart I like them and I like the clean simple look best wishes with it

Sweet! What size is that freezer? Are those all 5 gallon Corny's?
Hey, thanks, ApolloSimcoe!

It's a 5.o Cu. Ft. Insignia that I got off Facebook MarketPlace. A lady bought it for her son, who never used it.

Those are pin-lock Corny's, and there's still room in there for a 5-lb Co2 tank, which is nice. I might add an nitro on the outside, later, and drill a hole through the collar to allow the gas line to run through.

You did not leave a lot of space on the side for ventilation I assume you cut out the finish over the vent to allow it to breathe, we cant see that side of your unit finished and I would hate to see you put all that work into it to have it overheat and fail. The hang tags for the beer labels is pretty smart I like them and I like the clean simple look best wishes with it

Hey, thanks so much, OG-wan (great handle, btw)! This was my first time building pretty much anything. I'm really happy with the beer labels. Got those on Amazon.

Right! After all the work and overhead/failure might ruin me. There's only about 1.25" space there on the front and left side. The back and right side, where the condenser and vent are, are completely open and uncovered, so that allows for cooling. I'm keeping the setup about 5"-6" from the wall on the back side, and a good 14" from the wall on the condenser side. Hope that works out.

Aside from the collar and the studs that I attached with construction adhesive, the exterior is all nailed on. That way if the shell gets damaged (or the freezer conks out), I can replace/transfer the sections that need it and build a new collar, if need be.

And those are all 5 gallon kegs? I am looking to build one after the first of the year and that may be the perfect size for me. I am just doing a 3 keg setup with the CO2 inside the chest.

And those are all 5 gallon kegs? I am looking to build one after the first of the year and that may be the perfect size for me. I am just doing a 3 keg setup with the CO2 inside the chest.

Hey, ApolloSimcoe! Those are 5 gallon, pin-lock kegs. It's tight, but it all fits. The freezer is a 5.0 cubit foot Insignia, which I just saw is on sale for $110.

Back