My name is ill.literate, and I'm a hop head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ill.literate

Reaction score
So Trace had a bad day (got rear ended, literally, about 1,000 yards from her office by some moron woman in a mini-van who then ARGUED with the cop about him ticketing her). And I haven't had the best of nights, though I did get to spend some time with my kids (at my ex's however, which sucks).

So I got home, with beer on my mind, and after rummaging through the beer fridge I cracked the third of four Dogfish Head 90 minute IPAs.

DAMN this is good beer. I love dark beers, but I'm quickly becoming a hop head.

I can't wait to get my IIPA going. I know it won't be as good, or as outragous as the DFH, but with a forecasted IBU of around 90, it should be good.

So I'm taking the first step, and admitting I'm powerless over hops and IPAs.

Thanks brothers.

Sorry about your bad day, but glad to hear about the good beer! I first tried Dogfish Head 90 min about a month ago- Wolf gave me a couple because he didn't like them. Well, between that and a beerswap with Brewtopia, I've become a monstrous hophead. There is no such thing as too hoppy!

(Thanks Wolf and Brewtopia!)

I've got a Dogfish Head 60 minute clone to bottle tomorrow, and Walker's IPA was a good one, too. An IIPA sounds awesome!

Sorry for the bad day! Like you I was definitely a dark beer man. But I've got my first IPA dry hopping in secondary now after trying a friends 'modest' 75 IBU IPA and that very weekend I had to make my own. I had to raid my hops freezer and cobble one together but the first taste I had when racking to secondary was AWESOME. It's about 80 IBU according to promash and the next one I'm going to make even stronger. I'm totally hooked and plan to do another as soon as my primary is free!

I was going to start my IIPA this weekend, but I might not have time to put it together, so I'll probably harvest and wash the yeast from our porter and then use it for the IIPA the following weekend.

I cannot WAIT to put it together.

And MAN is that last DFH 90 min calling my name right now. :drunk:

Plus they are good for you because they have antioxidants in them, so drink up. :D

I'm beggining to find that I only like the hoppy beers, and most others dont. Bad thing is that not many of the BMC drinkers like my homebrew because it's hoppy, good thing is that not many of the BMC drinkers like my homebrew because it's hoppy. ;) :D

Not to call you all a bunch of old farts (cough cough), but is hop-loving an age thing? My father really only likes hoppy beers, and this tendency has only grown in his golden years. I, being the sprightly young man I am, like maltier beers. I do like hoppy beers sometimes, but if I drink too many (or too hoppy), it starts tasting like compost water. Anyway, just curious what you all think.

Old farts?

I JUST turned 34 two weeks ago.

I think it could be the other way around, no?

Haha, okay, okay, I admit defeat. There goes my pet theory about tastebuds aging. I'm still curious about what makes a hophead, though.

One could assume that the intrigue in hops could very well come from it's close relation to marijuana. Just a thought.

Whelk said:
Haha, okay, okay, I admit defeat. There goes my pet theory about tastebuds aging. I'm still curious about what makes a hophead, though.

Speaking in decrepit old lady voice, "Now listen, sonny, just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't have excellent taste in beer! I prefer to think my tastes have matured, not aged". :D

Old farts. Whoa wait a minute, I'm only 24 and I love hoppy beers. I currently have my first IPA in secondary now. hope it turns out good. When it comes to good commercial IPAs I have tasted none better than Victory Hop Devil. Its a smaller brewery, but their website victorybeer.com has a database of where you can find it. I promise I"m not from the company trying to push it or anything. I know I would suspect that reading my post, but I just think its a beer any hophead should try if given the chance. I discovered it in a bar that has many unique brews and have loved it ever since. I can't even get it in WV where I live, but I try to pick some up everytime I cross the border into PA.

Hello, i'm nick, and i'm a hop-a-holic. You think the 90 Minute is a hoppie beer. try the 120-minute IPA. Its the same prossess as the 90 minute but for 120 minutes and then dry hopped everyday for a month and then aged another month before its bottled. OMG!!!!!

But my IPA that i have in the primary had 8oz of hops just in the boil.

Hophead here too. There was a poll a while back asking if you prefer the hop flavor or the malt flavor. I believe the members liked the malt flavor by a small margin over the hops. Anyway, i'm 29 yrs. old. I think i like the hops because it distinguishes the beer from BMC (although, i guess malt or ANY flavor would too).

I sampled the 60 min. along with the 90 min. and found the 60 min to be very tasty. Didn't care for the 90 min too much because, for some reason, it's too sweet. The hops and sweetness didn't blend very well. (I may have them backwards, I can't remember). I still like the SN Celebration Ale above them both, though.:mug:

ill.literate said:
So Trace had a bad day (got rear ended, literally, about 1,000 yards from her office by some moron woman in a mini-van who then ARGUED with the cop about him ticketing her). And I haven't had the best of nights, though I did get to spend some time with my kids (at my ex's however, which sucks).

So I got home, with beer on my mind, and after rummaging through the beer fridge I cracked the third of four Dogfish Head 90 minute IPAs.

DAMN this is good beer. I love dark beers, but I'm quickly becoming a hop head.

I can't wait to get my IIPA going. I know it won't be as good, or as outragous as the DFH, but with a forecasted IBU of around 90, it should be good.

So I'm taking the first step, and admitting I'm powerless over hops and IPAs.

Thanks brothers.

welcome to the hop side. leave your coat at the door, and pull up to a nice pint of liquid glory. enjoy :)

btw, sorry for your crappy day! tomorrows right around the corner, and guess what- it's a friday!

I too am a hop head. At 23, I would have to say that I haven't matured to love hops, they grabbed ahold of me and haven't let go. I've got a 126 IBU DIPA about to go to secondary for dry hopping, I love this sport.

Back