My Maris Otter/ Citra SMASH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadHomebrewer

Reaction score
Two firsts for me on this brew. First time brewing on my new BIAB setup and first time kegging. I made a few mistakes that I'll solve for next time, but all in all it came out really well! I was going for a pale ale but with my mistake on the first addition, I'll call it a Session IPA!

12 lb Maris Otter
2 oz Citra @ 15min
1 oz Citra @ 5min
1 oz Citra @ 0min
2 oz Citra Dry Hop 3 days

Where I messed up, my oldest was talking to me outside. Instead of just setting my timer for the 60min boil, I threw in the 15min addition and whirlfloc tab at 60min! So I moved the 5min addition to also 0min. I also underestimated cooling my wort in the keggle without a wort chiller. Got it down enough for the fermenter and let it cool overnight and pitched the yeast the next day. I had also already rehydrated my yeast and it had to sit overnight with some aluminum foil over it.

With all that said and done, the beer has been in my new keg and keezer for about a week now and it came out pretty good! I will brew it again but will try and follow my recipe better. Anyway pics below.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459339828.291987.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459339856.090903.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459339874.933696.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459339914.016823.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459339957.605333.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459340014.084369.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459340028.827676.jpg

Sometimes the brew days with the most mishaps create the best beer. I wouldn't be surprised if you like your "modified" recipe better than the actual. Enjoy kegging and don't sweat the small stuff, there is a reason why we all believe in RDWHAH!

Nice looking beer! Yea just recently I was ahead of my timer by 10 Minutes. My burner was giving me issues and I added my 10 and 5 min additions 10 mins earlier. With that happening, I said f it throw in a half oz of Amarillo at 0. Beer turned out great! Gained maybe 20 IBUs by the bear is solid. I'm now just letting the beer condition in the keg. So yea I agree w you. The beers you worry about the most turn out great!

Latest posts

Back