My keg system has sat for about 2-3 years what should I do to get it ready?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElCid79

Reaction score
Well, name says it all. My kegerator has been sitting for about 2 - 3 years due to a move and inconvenience of trying to brew at my old place. Finally in a new house with room to do it again. I have a batch aging as we speak and another about to go into the brew kettle.

Question is, what do I need to do to get everything ready again. Should I replace the CO2 lines? I am going to replace the beverage lines because they are somewhat nasty. Should I worry about all of the connections? or just clean them really well?

What about the CO2 tank. Its been empty for who knows how long...

Cheers.

I'd replace all the lines, gas and liquid, since it's not that costly. I would just hate to have a problem once I got my beer into service. As far as the tank I would take it to wherever you're going to have it filled and have them check, service, or swap it making sure the hydro date is current and that it's good to go. Hook it all up, check for leaks, and get after it. Congrats on the new homestead.

I would also take apart and thoroughly clean all connections. Sanke connections come completely apart and there is info on the internet on doing it. Corny connections come apart real easy... The slit on the top that looks like a screw driver slot is in fact a screw driver slot. Just be aware that they are under a bit of spring tension. If your liquid lines were nasty, then you can safely assume the inside of the liquid connections are too.

Thanks!!! Will do all of the above, love this quote by the way... The slit on the top that looks like a screw driver slot is in fact a screw driver slot.

Back